What could I do to teach my son that throwing fits arent goin to get u anything?

My son will throw fits if u say no and if we dont want to do what he wants...

LovinMyTonys

Asked by LovinMyTonys at 9:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stay strong and dont give in.
    Anonymous

• that's the point, keep up not giving in, hopefully when he's around 35 or so it'll work! lol
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Ignore him, and of course dont give in.
    fraziersmom

Answer by fraziersmom at 9:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Completely ignore him when he acts that way. Explain calmly the reasons for saying no, and tell him that when he is done with his fit, you can do (fill in the blank). And then wait it out. Don't look at him, don't talk to him. Let him throw his fit till he gets tired of it. Some people say that "explaining" gets you nowhere b/c they don't understand it. That's bull. Toddlers understand WAY more than they let on - and after a while, they will quickly move on from the tantrum and do something else without you needing to explain much. You have to be consistent - NEVER give in to a tantrum. Even when they are tantruming for something you were gonna give them anyway, wait till they are calm before giving it to them. That way, they will always know that the tantrum is NOT what got them what they wanted, the calmness was.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 9:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Does he get it when you try to reason with him, as much as a 2 y.o. can? Will he compromise, like for instance, you get him a hot wheels car instead of something expensive, or will he only settle for what he wants? If you discipline him does it have any impact on him or does he just act like it didn't happen, he will turn right around and do the same thing? Is he impulsive? If you tell him no, does he cry for hours, or pitch a tantrum and he gets so upset, it seems his heart is broken?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My son is awful about that. I was going crazy with him. He's almost 18 months, but hes got the worst temper. We've just been ignoring him, and not giving in (like everyone else said) it really works, you just cant give in at all. When he throws a fit, I just tell him thats not nice, or Hes not going to get his way if hes being mean, and sit him on the couch. He cries, but eventually he comes over, pretty sad :'( but he kind of "asks" lol. If he was wanting me to play or something, he'll grab my hand, and kind of tug on it, if im not real busy, I'll play for a few, but if I am, I tell him later.. and if he still throws a fit, I do it over again, and eventually he gets the idea. GL! I know how you feel!
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• ignore him. If he follows you or is disrupting other children carry him into another room, tell him that when he is ready to calm down and talk like a big boy he may come out. Then leave him. If he comes out and continues the tantrum walk away or put him back in the room without speaking.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• First don't ignore him instead explain that is now how we ask for something we want and when he is ready to talk calmly then you will listen and then walk away (as long as he is in a safe place). DO NOT give in and that is how you teach them that it doesn't work. If you give in even once then they will learn it does work after a certain amount of time and will continue doing it. I still occasionally have to do this with my 4.5 year old because DH didn't get it at first and would give in after 30 minutes or so. My 29 month old he did it from the beginning with me and she actually throws less tantrums then my older one.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:44 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My daughte does the same thing I asked her doctor what to do when this happens and if it was normal and he said it was normal and that the best thing you can do is show no emotion at all and walk away because if you jump on them that's attention and dont give them what they want until they stop and act the way you want them to act !!!! If you dont do this then they will start doing it all the time for the attention and to get their way and you will have the worst kid on the block lol it is very hard to do but I have been practicing and it seems to work Also if it does not stop put them in time out for 10 mins or until they decide to behave I hope this helps you (:
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2009