Child learning to eat with a fork and spoon.

I was just wondering at what age did your child to learn to eat with a fork and spoon?

midsummernights

Asked by midsummernights at 9:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son started learning around 1 year old (give or take a few months).
    Anonymous

• My son is 20 months, and would rather throw the spoon/fork on the floor and pick everything up with his hands...I don't know what to do!! He'll be really good one day, trying to "scoop" things up, but he hates it!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 9:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I gave my kids utensils before they were a year. Whether or not they used them wasn't an issue - they were there, so they tried, and they learned. I never had to sit there with any of them and hold the spoon or fork in their hand and show them how to do it - they saw the rest of us, and were allowed to try over and over and over. My 2.5 year old son uses a fork and spoon better than hubby's 7.5 yo nephew.
    Anonymous

• My 21 month old is learning now. When she tries, she's got it down but when she is playing or distracted she ends up using her fingers.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My 22 month old son won't eat properly with a spoon or fork. If I put food on his fork he'll pick up the fork with one hand, then he'll use the other hand to pull the piece of food off and put it in his mouth. I'm hoping he'll figure it out eventually.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 12:15 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• DS is 22 months old and insists on using a regular spoon and fork and eats perfectly fine with it. I think it's because I started him on solids later than most @ 7.5 months and he basically started feeding himself right away. Of course pretty messy in the beginning but now he is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Eleven months for a fork and about 18 months for a spoon.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:00 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My 14 month old can eat with a fork most of the time, she's really determined to get it right and when she can't get the food on the fork she will pick it up with her fingers and stick it onto the fork tines before eating it. A spoon, not yet.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:30 AM on Nov. 25, 2009