What does your religion as a community of believers do for you, what keeps you in your religion? Are you in a religion just for your children or partner? Do you read and believe in the teachings or do you hit the snooze button?

Have you ever been a different religion? If so why did you switch? What makers America so diverse in religions but have such a strong belief in God? How does your religion differ from others?

lfl

Asked by lfl at 9:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I belong to my religion not because of what it does for me or my family but because I believe it teaches the truth about God. I was raised in my religion - but moved away from it in my youth because I was more concerned with meeting my desires than examining what I believed about God. When I did start to examine my beliefs and reasoning I returned to the faith of my childhood. My religion has similarities and differences from other religions. I believe in a personal God - a real being and something more than just a big force. I believe there is only one God and He created everything. I don't try to do what God wants to get into heaven or because I'm afraid of hell - I do it because I believe it's the right thing to do (even if it's difficult at times). I believe God wants what's best for me and if I do His will that is what will happen.
    Anonymous

• I am in a relationship/ friendship with Christ Jesus , God the Father and Holy Spirit. I do not do religion but I do make every attempt to walk in Grace. I love the church I go to.. I am usually on the edge of my seat because it is so fun, so powerful and so God. I have been to different strands/rivers of Christianity and the one I am with now I prefer the most because they love you as you are and care.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• What does your religion as a community of believers do for you- They helped me when i was in a dark place in my life. They build you up and support you in every way they can.

what keeps you in your religion?- Besides my love for God, these people are the best group of people that i have ever met. very supportive and loving.

Are you in a religion just for your children or partner? No, I first started bible studies, my child as well and my husband saw a positive change in me and it peaked his interest and eventually began a bible study also.

Do you read/ believe in the teachings- I believe, i believe that what i'm taught is the truth and for the 1st time in my life have come to know God.

Have you been a different religion,why did you switch? Used to be Catholic, switched because I wasnt happy

How does your religion differ- We dont believe in the trinity and believe in paradise instead of heaven after death.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• There is no "community" of non-believers. Besides a few social clubs, there's really nothing that brings us together for any kind of structured service. I know a few agnostics and atheists that I share common beliefs with, but we don't do anything together in the name of no religion.

What keeps me here is agreeing with logic and science. I left my Christian upbringing when the bible stories became too hard to believe. Miracles cannot be proven except through faith, and these often go against the laws of physics and an overabundance of physical evidence to the contrary.

Almost all my family are Christians, so no, I'm not in it for them. I fully accept that they can believe what they want, and we don't have any real conflicts over it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I will PM you my answer, because there's not enough room here.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• What does your religion as a community of believers do for you?
    There really isn't much of a community of religion here for me. I'm solitary.

what keeps you in your religion?
    My faith

Are you in a religion just for your children or partner?
    Absolutely NOT!

Do you read and believe in the teachings or do you hit the snooze button?
    This question does not really apply to me. I do lots of reading and sometimes i agree with what is written, but there are no "teachings" of the sort you are talking about. And the readings i do obviously don't come from the bible.

Have you ever been a different religion?
    Sorta. I was Eclectic Wiccan before i became an Eclectic Pagan Witch.
    If so why did you switch? Because my understanding of the world changed.

What makes America so diverse in religions but have such a strong belief in God?
    I do not believe that most Americans truly have such a
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:35 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• How does your religion differ from others?
    Well, I'm Pagan. yea. and "others" are Christian (mostly). so that about sums it up.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:36 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• What does your religion as a community of believers do for you, what keeps you in your religion? I have no "community of believers" - I'm the only Buddhist I really know.
    Are you in a religion just for your children or partner? Nope
    Do you read and believe in the teachings or do you hit the snooze button? I don't have time to read it LOL, but I do believe it. No services, so no snooze button to hit.
    Have you ever been a different religion? If so why did you switch? Studied about every denomination of Christianity out there, attended church several times/wk... never believed it.
    What makers America so diverse in religions but have such a strong belief in God? Don't know, there is no God in my religion.
    How does your religion differ from others? Mainly - no God(s). There are many differences, but many similarities, too. Just no room to even begin to get into them here.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I'm going to answer this in a different order just because I think your last question is the first most important. So you asked "How does your religion differ from others?" Christianity is not just a religion. Christianity is in it's truest form a relationship with God Himself by the death of Jesus Christ His son and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Next- you asked "Do you read and believe in the teachings or do you hit the snooze button?" The scriptures are my rule of life and practice. I read daily, I read and learn with my faith community, I learn from others who are more knowledgable and I learn from those who may not have as much "book learning" but have strong faith.
    O.K. now the rest you asked "What does your religion as a community of believers do for you, what keeps you in your religion?" My church family prays for me and my family, we study and worship together, they are family. Con't
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:44 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Cont. you asked "Are you in a religion just for your children or partner? no my husband and I worship together and our children also attend church but my relationship with Jesus Christ does not depend on them. You asked "Have you ever been a different religion?" no but there was a time before I accepted Christ that I was without any form of belief. You asked "If so why did you switch?" I needed God's love, it was His love that attracted me. And finally you asked "What makers America so diverse in religions but have such a strong belief in God?" O.K. the diversity comes from several factors, first our freedom, we were one of the first countries to be founded on freedom of religion. That's one reason people came here. Also, we have many, many nations represented here, with our diversity of culture came diversity of religion. The second part-I question, do we truly have a strong belief in God? I think not.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:52 AM on Nov. 25, 2009