bottles? HELP!

I know everyone is different...but did you give your baby bottles in the crib? And at what age? I am feeding my daughter before her naps and at nighttime, but I wonder if I am making her too dependent on m,e because i do it in a rocking chair? Maybe I should just give her the bottle and lay her down? Is there a right and a wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is nothing wrong with rocking your baby before you put her to sleep...I did give my babies bottles in the crib they tell you not to give them one during the night or during naps because it can cause bottle rot in their teeth. I always made sure their teeth were rinsed or cleaned in the morning. You can give her a bottle just take it out when she's done or fall asleep. Putting baby down when feeding is lso a good idea so as she gets older it won't be so hard to put her down for naptime or night time. I know I had this problem and it sucked.. good luck!!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Well how old is your daughter?? If she is still under a year i probably wouldn't. Sometimes they half fall asleep with formula dripping down there throat. That could be a real choking hazard
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i personally dont put my baby to sleep with a bottle. she gets her last milk an hour before bed. I think a bottle immedietly before bed is habit causing for her.

I would keep doing it in a rocking chair, not in the crib.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I feed my little girl in the rocking chair and then lay her down, I'm afraid that if I put the bottle in the crib she would start sucking on it while she was asleep (thinking it was a pacificer) and choke.
    midsummernights

Answer by midsummernights at 10:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My son is 11 months now and I want him to start using a sippy cup. Right now, the only bottle I actually hold him for is his bedtime bottle. All the others he feeds himself. We recline the high chair after meals a little to make it easier for him. Or if it's a spur of the moment bottle I put him in his car seat cause that has the right recline to it. He won't take a bottle just like sitting on the floor and won't even touch a sippy cup...but that's a whole other story.

If your daughter is pushing 1, start having her hold the bottle on your lap at first. Then switch to her holding the bottle off your lap in a high chair, car seat, infant chair, what ever works for you. But I would keep rocking her at bedtime to soothe her and get her ready to sleep.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with your method. Dependency only occures if that child feels they need things to be done that way.
    My son is a year and has been taking a bottle in his crib since he was about 8-9 months old I believe. My son took to it just fine and I think prefered it that way, so that's what we've continued to do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Laying your baby down with a bottle is not a habit I would get started, in my opinion. She could develop tooth decay or possibly even choke. I say rock her while you feed her and then put her to bed. If she is small enough to still be sleeping in a crib, don't sweat it. She is just a baby, rock her. Soon enough there will come a day when she will transition into a toddler bed and then would be a good time to find a new bedtime routine.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 11:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• with my oldest son, i wanted to be perfect and did everything by the book. i fed him his bottles and rocked him to sleep until he was atleast a year old....it was a BAD idea...with my youngest son, i've made a point to make him more independent. he is 7 months and feeds himself 99% of the time...sometimes during the night i'll give him a bottle, but it's usually only if he's in bed with me...he doesnt like me to hold the bottle though, around 5 months he would take it out of my hand and hold it himself...lol

i dont know about just giving him a bottle in the crib by himself yet...i probably wont do that until he's more like 10 or 11 months
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 12:24 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• my mother left the bottle in my mouth when i was an infant and i had to have my front teeth pulled...after the baby is asleep take the bottle away from the crib and make sure to take proper care of your child's teeth
    denisekeene

Answer by denisekeene at 2:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009