What do you think?

Can a twenty year old babysit a needy baby? Ok, so first let me start that I'm 21. I can admit I have my challenges with my 11 mo. old son. He's just so needy. He cries and cries and cries. You constantly have to be doing something with him or he lets out these screeches and doesn't stop 'til you pay attention. He just seems so much more demanding than my first. Anyway, I'm looking for sitters while I'm at work and it seems like they're all my age. I'm not going to lie if I had to watch some strangers kid like mine I'd run for the hills. What I'm really afraid of more than anything is of these young girls who don't have kids and could possibly not have the patience and lend up hurting him. So, with that said- would you let a younger girl watch a child you know has high demands? Would it be wrong to ask her to hang out with my grandma watching the baby for a week as a trial?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do interviews, ask if this person has siblings and ask for references. make sure you warn the person about your childs demands... it can't hurt.
    Anonymous

• This is your baby you are talking about, if you feel she should sit with Grandma, then by all means go for it, ask her to take a class, do whatever you feel willhelp. Your child.
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Personally, I would look for a mom who has dealt with young kids before. I had NO idea what I was getting into when my first was born. It can be stressful for someone who doesn't know how to deal with a baby, let alone a needy one.
    Anonymous

• I don't see anything wrong with asking grandma to sit in for a trial basis. My son is very needy as well. I even have problems leaving him alone with my fiance because he usually wants me all the time and I'm afraid when I'm gone, he'll cry and cry and my fiance will become frustrated and either yell at him or get too rough with him. But anyways, have your mom/in law sit in and just keep a close eye and see how everything is going and how the babysitter is handling it. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I mean its your baby and you should do whatever you can to make sure he is safe with a stranger.
    Anonymous

• Hanging out with your grandma for a week or so sounds like a great idea. If you approach the sitter with this idea in the right way she'll like the idea. Tell her you know your child is very needy, and can be hard at times. So you thought it'd be nice for her to have someone who knows the baby better there for back up or adivce at first. If this doesn't work for you, you may want to think of finding someone older to watch him. Like a "grandma"" type person. Someone with alot of experience with kids.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2009