What does this mean?

My son has recently started pooping through his diapers. The poop most of the time, is going up the back and out the top of the diaper...occasionally its coming out the sides. This just started happening a lot. He's still in size 2 which goes up to 18 pounds and he weighs around 16lbs. Could it mean its time to get the bigger size? Or am I fastening the diapers too tight/loose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've noticed that as soon as my kids reached the minimum weight on the next size they started leaking through their diapers, no matter what weight it said it went up to. So size 3 says 16-28 lbs and size 4 says 22-37 lbs. My daughter is starting to leak through her 3s at night, and sure enough at her doctor's appointment last week she was almost 22 lbs.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Try a bigger size. It helped with my daughter. She is 19 months and in size 5, and going up. It cant hurt to try.
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• The bigger ones will go further up his back. That can help. If he has a predictable pooping schedule, you can use them when you're anticipating a poop, and the cheaper, smaller sized ones in between.
    Anonymous

• My son has been doing that too lately. The one night he must have pooped right after I put him to bed and then like 4 hours later I check on him and he was on his belly and there was a huge brown circle on his back. That poop was seriously caked onto his skin. The worst diaper ever!

Are his diapers exploding after you've put Desitin on him? Cause I've noticed my son's diapers are messier if he has cream on his tush cause it's all slippery and the poop just mushes around. You could try bigger diapers or the diapers might be too big and it's causing a gap in the back which lets the poop go up and out. Trial and error!!

(Never in a million years would I have thought I would be talking about poop like this! Only a Mommy!!! Hahaha)
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My kids grow out of diapers before they hit the weight on the package. It's just a supposed guideline, it's not a guarantee it'll fit every kids that weight right. Definitely time for the next size up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My son has always been way smaller than the weight guidelines on his diapers. I would definitely go up to the next size. For instance, right now he's wearing size 5 which goes up for 35 lbs or so, even though according to weight he should be in size 4. They are too small though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Bigger size for sure. That is how I knew with my first that we needed to move up. Even if the package says 6-12 pounds and the next one said 8-16 pounds or whatever I almost always had to move my son up when he hit the bottom of the next size.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2009