Does your two year old ever...

ask repeatedly for food, even when you KNOW they aren't hungry? My son, who is a light eater otherwise, will sometimes eat a whole meal, then a snack a while after that, to the point that I am just SURE he must be full, then he will stand in the kitchen and name foods he wants ("Toast... Berries... Pretzels...") He won't eat something if I give it to him, he just likes ASKING for it, I think. Anybody else's toddler do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He may not be asking when he's naming food, just practicing his vocabulary. When he names something. Reinforce that and ask if he wants to eat some. Give him a chance to say no. If you keep trying to give him food when he just wants to name things you may both get frustrated!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 11:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• OP - He isn't just naming the stuff. He really WANTS it, till I give it to him. Then he maybe takes one bite and then leaves the rest.
    Anonymous

• my son does this too. we play the "is it?" game where he points and asks "is it?" and I have to say it. he has started playing this food game too. I feel for you. But I would also ask him if he is hungry. My son signs and that is how I know he is really hungry/thirsty and not just practicing. goof luck!
    Anonymous