what time do you and your baby wake up in the morning??

im just wondering what time you get up for good in the morning with your baby. I have a 5 month old son and he sleeps till 9am..if i wake him up earlier will he go down for night time sleep earlier??? also... should my 5 month old still be waking every 3 hours at night??? any tips to get him to sleep longer?

nicolemarie1214

Asked by nicolemarie1214 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The biggest thing you need to do is train him to put himself back to sleep if he wakes up. Don't rush to him if he makes noise. My step daughter was never taught to do that and she is in our bedroom EVERYTIME she wakes up complaining that she can't go back to sleep. Because her father and grandmother always ran into her when she made a little noise. And honestly, unless he's poopy, the diaper change can wait until the morning.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't wake your son earlier, but would put him down earlier and see if he wakes up earlier. I don't think I started with a set bedtime quite that young, but our kids all go to bed at 7 p.m. My 2 year old is up at 6 a.m. My 3 year old is up between 7 or 8, and my one year old is up around 7. Getting up every 3 hours is a lot compared to mine, but it is also perfectly normal. You could try a fan or white noise machine and see if that helps him sleep longer in between. Is he nursing or eating every 3 hours, or just waking up?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• He wakes me somewhere between 10 and 11am, and his bed time is 10 pm. Luckily he takes after his momma and loves to sleep, he also takes a about an hour to an hour and a half nap every afternoon! He is just about 16 months. It is normal I have heard for babies to still wake during the night at that age but my son has been sleeping a straight 11-13 hours every single night since he was 5 months and only woke once a night before that, and even then I just changed him and fed him a small bottle and he went he went right back to sleep minutes later.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My son wakes up at 730am on the nose...I have no idea how he does that everyday! Since 730am is just TOO EARLY for mommy, he plays in his crib until 8am. Then it's up for breakfast. Nap at 10. Lunch at 12. Nap at 4. DInner at 530. Bed at 8pm. He's been sleeping through the night since about 3 months or so. Every once in awhile he'll wake up around 1130pm but that's usually cause the dog barks or my DH and I are talking. (He still sleeps in our room) And sometimes he'll wake up and whine a bit but I don't rush over to him, I let him put himself back to sleep. I think he's a dreamer and that wakes him up sometimes...either that, or he can't find his blankie and then once he finds it, he's all good. And a trick to get him to sleep longer and I don't care what everyone says, he's not going to die....put rice cereal in his bottle before bed. Just a spoonful or 2, it will fill his little belly more and he'll sleep better for ya.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• he is waking up to eat. and get a diaper change.
    nicolemarie1214

Answer by nicolemarie1214 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i dunno how to comment back to you guys im new to this lol. i will try the cereal too. i just need some sleep lol. my 3 year old and him keep me so busy all day. i havent have a good nights sleep in 5 months.
    nicolemarie1214

Answer by nicolemarie1214 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i will try that.. so its ok to let him cry for a few minutes?? usually he wakes right up crying...and me being so tired i instantlyy get up like a robot and go make the bottle half awake...so maybe if i let him cry for a few he might go back to bed??
    nicolemarie1214

Answer by nicolemarie1214 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Feed him a bottle with cereal right before bed and if you HAVE to feed/change him....don't over stimulate him. Keep the lights off, don't talk to him, feed him, change him and put him back down. Make sure he has his lovey if he has one cause my son's were all in the wash the other day and he was restless all night. Also, he might be teething. So him waking up crying could be from pain and not hunger. Try Oragel and see if that works.

Good luck!
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2009