I want him to enlist

How can I make him see what a good thing this would be? I would really love it if he'd enlist, in any branch, of the military. Great benefits, job security, always a home. There are so many pluses (not to mention the fact that he would be helping to protect our country). He has zero interest. He won't even entertain the idea. I know I can't force it on him, but I would really like to open his eyes as to why this would be a good idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• honestly idk what mother would want this for their child unless the child was heading down the wrong path and needed help
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• You can't make him do anything he doesn't want to do. Joining the military is way more than a job, it is a career, his LIFE!
    You trying to guilt him into it will only cause tension and trouble. Even worse, if he does join just to make you happy he will hold it against you forever. He will feel like he was pushed into it. If his heart into it he will not enjoy being in the military.
    Also what do you mean always home? My dad served in the Army and he would leave on TDY at least once a month. Early on in his career he would be gone for months at a time. If your DH was called to Iraq of Afganistan he may be gone for a year or even several years.
    Anonymous

• is this your husband or son you are talking about
    Anonymous

• You didn't say WHO you were talking about (SO, DH, son, etc.) but that doesn't change the fact that to pressure someone you love to enlist in the military, which is a time-consuming, difficult, and mentally-stressful job even without the possibility of being thrown into the path of danger, is wrong. How would YOU feel if someone was pressuring you to do something that could possibly take you away from your family and everything you know, and possibly take your life? Leave the man alone. If he was military material, he'd be interested. He isn't, so drop it.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Maybe you should join the military if it is such a good opportunity. Let whoever you are trying to talk into joining decide for himself what he wants to do with his life.
    Anonymous

• for some reason i just assumed it was a son???
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Why on earth would you want to force someone to enlist? You think they will always be home...go and talk to any military wife, they are away more then they are home.
    Anonymous

• I know how u feel, my SO works in a factory for 9 bucks a hr. He has been there for 4 years and his brother just joined the millitary making 14 bucks a hr. I keep telling SO he needs to do something because we cannot make it on 18 grand a year anymore. I really really wish he would just consider it. :)
    Anonymous

• OP HERE: shay1130: I'm talking about DF not my child.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE
    anon 10:30.....I meant we would always have a home. We would never again have to worry about not being able to pay the rent and becoming homeless.
    Anonymous