Anyone experienced in Ticks?

My dog has been bringing ticks into the house lately. I am so grossed out. I don't know where they are coming from. We had the yard sprayed, we stopped feeding the birds (squirrels and other little critters would come into the yard to eat the bird food too), had the house treated inside. We have a fenced in back yard and he doesn't stay out there long. no long grass, not even ornamental grass. Where the heck are they coming from? And how do you get rid of them, besides all of the stuff I have already done? We had him dipped, he has a tick collar on, he has frontline. Nothing works. Well, the ticks aren't feeding on him anymore, but they are still coming in the house on him. Ewwwww................

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Ok, so first, make sure that you have Frontline on and apply it correctly. It should be getting to the skin when applied, allow 48 hours after a bath before applying and don't bathe until 48 hours after application. Use it every 28-31 days (if needed it can be used every 3 weeks safely). Frontline will kill ticks that get on your dog. Frontline also works in areas of the house that the dog will lay down including carpeting and bedding. If you need to have the house and yard sprayed make sure they use fiprinil (that is the active ingredient in Frontline) as other products can be toxic to dogs and cats. If you need something else, make sure the collar you have is a Preventic collar - most over-the-counter collars are ineffective. Dips and flea baths only kill what is on the dog and have no preventative effect. If you are still having a problem, get some Frontline spray to use topically when you see a tick.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 2:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I don't know what the bug people used, it was in their sprayer. It could have been some sort of generic bug chemical, I really don't know. I got the tick collar at the vet. I had him dipped and have the frontline, I will put that on as well. I guess the part that really has me scratching my head is the fact that they are still coming in on him. They aren't feeding - that I know of. They are still flat and if I kill them they aren't full of blood. But they still come in on him from outside. The tick dip is one of the worst smelling things that have ever been on him. It was a few weeks ago and even when he gets a little wet from rain he smells all over again. I am sure that's why the ticks aren't feeding on him. I have two young kids and that is my biggest worry. I don't want ticks to get on them. The dog has always been an inside dog. He isn't in the best health and I wouldn't want to sequester him outdoors.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Thanks for the response. I will check the paperwork from the bug people to see what they used and also put some frontline on him.

Ahhhhhh.......these ticks have got to go!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• It is a really bad year for ticks. Our one dog gets them almost daily and my hubby quit bear hunting yesterday because he kept finding them on himself. Are you sure they are coming in on your dog. My sister lived in an apartment a few years ago and kept finding ticks there--they weren't even allowed to have animals in the building.
    mom2LandL

Answer by mom2LandL at 11:51 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I am sure there are some coming in on him, I have found them on him after he has been out in the back yard doing his business. We have a manicured back yard, no long grass, but we do have two trees. They have some moss hanging from them that drops to the ground occasionally (we toss it in the trash). We are in south east Texas. There are two different types of ticks that are coming in on him, that or one is juvenile and the other is in the adult stage. My vet doesn't know what to say. I asked the bug guy about ticks in the area and he says he sees it more where there is open land with longer grasses (like pastures). My biggest concern at this point is that some may have gotten in the house and layed eggs that are now hatching out. When the bug guy treated the house he said that this will happen but that the newly hatched would end up dying because of what he treated with.

Anonymous