My 4 year old wants a computer for Christmas. What is the closest thing to a computer that really isn't an actual computer.

She says she wants a computer to check her email. lol! So is there something that looks like a real computer out there?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• What about one of those little learning computers?....I think leapfrog makes them. They have little alphabet and spelling and number games.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• There are laptops in the toy isle that are actually learning computers. My niece got one for her birthday one year, and it's actually pretty cool. Has all different levels of math, science, reading, spelling on it. It really teaches them a lot.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I was goin to suggest a Leapfrog too! But they have other things along those lines as well.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Those little learning laptops are pointless, they only have a couple of basic little games on them. You'd do better buying her a cheap laptop, you can get one for a couple of hundred bucks or even pick up a second hand one. Set up book marks to educational sites like pbskids.org or starfall.com or install a couple of programs. Kids are using computers at a very young age nowadays and learning to use a keyboard, mouse and/or trackpad will come in handy very soon. My son uses his laptop at home (my old one, too old to bother selling so I passed it down) and a desktop at preschool.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• well if OP her a computer at home she can use that one. why buy her a new laptop or computer? that to me is pointless unless OP is rich and likes to spend money. I have a 5 year old and she wants a computer too but am i going to go get one? NOPE. she dont need it sorry. she can learn all the stuff she needs at school and with the help of ME. I'd say buy her a leapfrog computer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Nov. 25, 2009