my 3 year old daughter chews and bites her bottom lip so much that it bleeds.

i have no idea why she does it, or how to get her to stop doing it. have any of you had a child that did this?

i posted this question in another category, but i got no answers.

tonight it got so bad that it took up almost half a roll of toilet paper to stop the bleeding. i'm getting really worried and i would really appreciate any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• i would try putting some lip balm on her lips something thats not so tasty and tell her that it is medicine and not to lick or bite her lips so that the medicine wont come off.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My oldest is now 12 (who is special needs) but for years she would suck on her upper lip and make it swell and in winter time crack and bleed really bad. You could try the solution shay mentioned but for us it didn't help with our daughter. All we could do was keep a very close eye on her. We did a point reward but it did take quite a while for her to be aware that she was even doing it. But the reward with some warnings eventually did work.

I would talk with your doctor's office and get some solutions, but wish I could be of more help. Pray that you will find your solution to help your daughter.
    Elkana

Answer by Elkana at 7:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My son used to suck on his bottom lip. His face was always broke out. We used to put a lot of vaseline on it. We were constantly on him about it. Everytime we saw him doing it we told him to get his lip out. After enough nagging he finally stopped.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Use a cold wash cloth to stop bleeding, it will work faster and is less expensive than toilet paper. Lots of kids have lip issues, due to chewing or licking. You have to keep on them, help them stop. Keep chapstick or other moisturizers on him. Just keep at him. He will quit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My 2 yr old want stop her lower lip IM worried she might dealing with.stress of missing her absent father not sure but I know my daughter hasn't every done this till I split up with him and started working IM not working as much now and IM corcerned
    angel707707

Answer by angel707707 at 5:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2013