How do i get my 22 month old son to stop taking his diapers off!..i got him a potty but hes just more interested in being NAKED! I even tried putting them on backwards lol

jade1990

Asked by jade1990 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put undies on him.
    Anonymous

• Let him be naked. 'They' say (They being the "experts") that letting a child go naked for a couple of days helps them feel more independent. Also, you'll better know their signs when they have to go to the bathroom and you can hurry them to it. Then when they go in the potty reinforce them with positive attention. 'They' say it works.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• let him go naked during the day to help the potty training along. at night use duct tape or the one piece footie pjs. If he takes the pjs off cut the feet off a couple pairs and put them on him backwards so he can't get to the zipper! Or if you don't have enough to ruin a few pairs, you can try putting a safety pin under the zipper pull.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My 16 month old has been doin the same thing for a couple months now. I put his diapers on backwards as well, which worked for a while but he recently figured out that little trick. Now I have been taping them! It must be a strong tape though!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My dd is 18 months now and has been doing this sort of thing for about a month. She only got into a poopy diaper once and cried b/c she didn't like the poop on her hands. I put her in onesies, in footie jammies, in any sort of clothing she can't get out of. But I still find her with an arm pulled out of the top of her shirt of something. I hope she outgrows this soon. She's too young to potty train. I think she just likes the game of taking her clothes off. Fortunately, it's warm in FL.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Dress him in onesies, rompers, overalls, full-body pajamas, anything that blocks access to the waistband. My son did that for a while between 14-18 months, and when I dressed him that way he couldn't reach into his pants to unfasten his diaper (or pull his wee-wee out to pee his clothes). Also I let him run around naked for a little while after his baths, that seems to calm the urge to take his clothes & diaper off.
    Anonymous

• ALl I have to say is if you figure this one out let me know. My son is 21 months. I have tired putting his diaper on backwards, taping it, putting him in onsies, rompers sleepers, etc...NONE of it works and he has no interest in the potty...i'm at a loss...
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 12:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• duct tape! I know it sounds weird, but when my youngest was a baby, she wouldn't leave her diapers on, worse at nights when I'd wake up to a "mess"....so I put duct tape on them, she'd still try to pick at the tape, but couldn't get it off!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 9:59 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• my son did the same thing. I thought I had tried everything until one day I saw some undies on sale. Just put the undies over the diaper and they can't get it off. My son can get the velcro off but not the whole diaper. I thought about duct-tape too but it could be dangerous and my son has a phobia of anything adhesive. band-aids, stickers, tape. he get's that from his father! lol
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 2:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2009