What is the biggest difference between oil paints and acrylics (on canvas)?

I just started painting on canvas and I am using acrylics (cheap stuff in the bottle at walmart, but I bought the acrylic in the metal tubes, haven't tried it yet). I like how quickly it dries, but I hate having to repaint parts just to do blending I missed before.

A friend of mine told me that oil paints take a long time to dry, but blend better, and look better.

This is going to be my "making money from home" plan, and I want to make sure I am using what is best. Soooooo

What are the main differences? Positives/negatives? Do you have to buy new brushes? What do you prefer to use? What do you think would be the best type for the prestretched and pre-primed canvas?

54313MomOf4Boys

Asked by 54313MomOf4Boys at 11:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Oils take a long time to become hard, so you can work them for a very, very long time. This is both a positive and a negative (it's easier for areas to become muddied.) Oils do require different brushes, solvents, and cleaners.

Generally pre-primed canvasses have a gesso on them that's compatible with both oils and acrylics, so if you're happy with pre-primed canvas (you don't want a more interesting texture or a different size) it will do for either. If you just want another half hour of time with the acrylics, you can buy retardant to mix with the acrylic paint to give you some more time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:28 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• There are lots of differences and most is personal preference. You will probably have to try both to decide. Acrylic is a bit cheaper, dries faster (oil can take several days) dosn't have an odor, easy cleanup with water. It is more popular today than it used to be as all great atr was done with oil so it has been considered the best art form.
    http://www.briansimons.com/ Here is a link to a site that may be helpful. It was a great help to me . Brian's seven steps work great. (I think they are on the site) ck all the topics on his site--workshops-blog etc. Brian is a wonderful teacher for beginners. He has an oil and acrylic demo. video on his site.
    Happy Painting!
    page403

Answer by page403 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2009