Survivor of parvo

Ok I have a 2 year old english bulldog who survived parvo when he was 3 months old. He is so bad, not aggressive, and we have tried everything. He is on prozac twice a day, we got him fixed, he has a baby gate that is his time out, and we have tried spraying him with apple cider vinegar(they hate the way it taste). I did some research and talked to a vet and sometimes when they get parvo it causes brain damage by basically frying their brains. My question is have any of you delt with this and if so what did you do. We are trying a shock collar next which i really dont want to use but we are running out of ideas so any help please.

mycheyl

Asked by mycheyl at 11:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Pets

• check out the dog whisperer site. I know there are ways to overcome agression in dogs.

I find it silly to put a dog in "time out" though. They don't rationalize like people so can't 'think about what they did'. It's about changing how the mind responds and nipping the behavior in the bud right when it surfaces rather than after it has happened.

My dog supposedly had parvo when he was a puppy. Vet said he wouldn't survive and needed an expensive surgery that i couldn't afford. one does of medicine later and he was much better, a week of treatment and he was fine. wo either we got really lucky or it wasn't really parvo. But he was a sweet dog the whole time.
    Anonymous

• hahaha i dont put him in the time out to think i just put him in there to isolate him until he calms down and stops freaking out, its like he has anxiety his head will shake and like i said he is in no way aggressive.
    mycheyl

Answer by mycheyl at 11:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• ohhh poor thing~~~ can you get behavior classes for him? when I was a kid we took my shepard to them. Maybe get a consult with a behaviorist vet? Maybe the vet Dr. Michael (J -?) Fox's book would be a help or the website of the Alameda Clinic from E R Vets on Discovery Zone's Animal Planet?

You said he's bad but not aggressive, what does he do wrong? If it all started when he was a puppy cause of parvo, maybe he's 'catching up' and in his younger puppy years now after being so sick instead of having been a puppy running around and more clam now as a two year old?

I'd get some other opinions. Hope he gets better!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• an example of something he does is he will walka round our house obbsessively(spelling?) licking the ground. he will lick any piece of random trash off the the ground and eat it no matter what it is and then he will throw up. When he is doing this he will not respond to you its like he doesnt even know you are there. We will yell his name, clap our hands, and even try to physically hold him to get him to stop and he wont. I will put him in the baby gate and he will just sit in there and lick the floor and then throw up, in fact he is doing it now. I get nervous he will choke. this is just one example i would be here all night if i explain eveything he does
    mycheyl

Answer by mycheyl at 11:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Ok, it sounds as if some training is in order. First, make sure that everything is earned. Make him work for food, attention, etc. Train him to sit, for example before you pet him or before he eats. Nothing is free, not attention, treats, etc.

It also sounds like your dog needs a job. He may be licking out of sheer boredom. Make sure he is getting plenty of exercise and have several toys that get rotated to keep things interesting. Engage him in training sessions to learn all kinds of new tricks. You may even enroll him in classes like basic obedience, performance obedience, agility, etc. to build his self confidence (and help with the shaking and anxiety). If he does start obsessive behaviors, make a sharp abrupt noise to distract him and go about your business - avoid giving a toy instead or prolonged attention to the activity as it will encourage it.

Feel free to PM me if you need other suggestions.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 2:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• LOL. Doggy time out. Your dog sounds like my sister's dog. He was dipped too early and now he's a tad brain dead.
    Anonymous

• Has he been checked for a seizure disorder. It can be caused by the parvo (high fever). The head shaking and the obsessive licking at anything could be a type of seizure-especially since you said you can't "snap him out of it" when he is doing it. Just a thought-something to look into if you have tried all training methods. Also it could all be bordem. Bulldogs are working dogs and need a job. They need a lot of exercise and a job to keep them out of trouble and keep unwanted behaviors away.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My 1 year old lab/pit mix survived parvo (a very horrible and expensive bout). The side effects have been fairly extreme. He's very low energy, especially for a 1 year old pup. Per our vet his brain is pretty fried, but he's still highly intelligent. He developed fear aggression basically means he is not very confident and his fall back reaction to anything he seems unsure of is aggression. We've put a tremendous amount of time and energy and money into helping him become more confident through positive training. I bring this up for your pup because our pet behaviorist suggested using the nothing in life is for free method. This has helped tremendously, along with 20 mg of prozac/day. Look it up and see if it helps - it can take a few months. It gives our pup the structure his brain can't provide him. I would steer away from shock collars. He's still a 1yo pup and does some puppy things, but he does behavior is much better.
    epearce

Answer by epearce at 4:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2009