At how many months can a baby start eating baby food?

oamerson

Asked by oamerson at 11:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my oldest I stuck to the guidelines.....at 3 months I started baby cereal (watery at first, then thicker), at 4 months I added veggies, at 6 months I started fruit. With my next two, I still waited until 3 months for the cereal, but i introduced the fruits at the same time as the veggies at around 4 months...
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 11:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My doc gave the okay at 4 months.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Six months. Not before. Starting solids too early can cause food sensitivities later on. Babies get all they need from formula and breastmilk for the first year. The only reason they start solids is to get used to them. I would not start until after 6months.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous answered it perfectly... Don't start until 6 months if you can help it.. and when you do start do it slowly with rice cereal and then one simple fruit and then slowly add.. one fruit or veggie per 4 days
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• eh...you're not supposed to until 6 months, but i've never really been one for followin the rules ;)

i started both of mine on cereal around 2 months by adding a little in their bottles and on babyfood around 4 months
    my youngest didnt really get all that interested in solids til he was closer to 6 months old though

neither of them have ever had any problems
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 12:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I agree with the last two PP :o)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Well the two before the last post anyway lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Doc told me 3 months! i had my to older boys on table food by the time they were 9 months! they still drank the amount of formula that they were suppose too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I fully agree with anon :21.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Exactly what anon:21 said. Food allergies and sensitivities are on the rise and have already been linked to the early introduction of solids. Even rice is becoming a common allergen, and that's the first food most babies eat. Babies don't NEED anything other than breastmilk or formula for the first year. Introducing solids is just for experimentation, not for nutrition at that age. If your baby is acting hungrier, give him or her more breastmilk or formula. Wait for solids until at least 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2009