any other mothers out there who have alopecia areata?( unexplained hair loss)

i was recently diagnosed with alopecia areata. i am 23, healthy, have 3 kids..one bio and two step. my dermotologist said theres no known cause for it and theres nothing i can do or take to help...ive just started getting cortisone injections to help regrowth. just wondering how many other women out there have it also and what theyre doctors have said about the condition.

silentbreeze86

Asked by silentbreeze86 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Health

• Did you have a hormone panel done? Is there REALLY no explanation for it, or is that just what the doc told you? Hormonal changes and disorders can cause hair loss. I've never heard of what you said you were diagnosed with, but I have a hormonal disorder that causes hair loss. That's why I am wondering...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My neice has this. She is now 15 years old, and having no issues with it at this time. When she was younger she had bald spots in several spots at different times. All I know they told my sister, was for her to always use baby shampoo, nothing too harsh. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 9:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• not sure if i had a hormone panel done. but the blood test that i went for they looked at my complete blood count, my white and red cells, my sodium and calcium and others. i never got a call from the dr's saying anything was wrong and the dermatologist looked at my results and didnt say anything. she said the cause is unknown. the first doctor i saw about it said that it could possibly be stress related or thyroid. ive read online that a number of things (having a baby, surgery) can cause a person to lose hair. i asked the doctor and he said no to all of them.
    silentbreeze86

Answer by silentbreeze86 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2009