• In the Spotlight:

How often do you bathe an infant?

My DS is 3.5 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• During colder months, if you bathe then every day it will dry out and irritate their skin, so I'd do it every 2 days or so. A baby that small usually doesn't get dirty easily, except in one place. lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I have bathed my daughter every night sense the age of 3 weeks and she has never had dry skin. Baths calms babies down and they sleep so much better. I have known people that only bath their 15 month olds three days a week and they stink and always look dirty. I wash my daughters hair every other night though otherwise it will frizz. I don't know where people got this information that a baby's skin will dry up if you bath them eveynight. But this information is WRONG, all babies are not the same so it will not dry out all babies skin. If your baby does happen to get dry then just put some lotion on her and bath her every other day. People that say baby's dont get that dirty are also wrong, babies puck and pee, poop and sweat just like the rest of us and it makes them feel better. I mean really how well would you feel if you only showed every two days or three days a week.? I would beat that you would not feel very happy.
    McKennasmama08

Answer by McKennasmama08 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• It depends on the baby. If your baby is a fussy one or hard to calm down at night, a nightly bath might calm him down. Other babies may not need the nightly bath. It definitely won't dry out the skin though. Water is hydrating to the skin. The first thing an allergist will suggest for a baby with eczema is a daily bath to hydrate the skin, so you really don't need to worry about the bath drying it out!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Every three days or everyother day at first, but everday wouldn't hurt just make sure to put lotion on your baby.
    jaimielyn2001

Answer by jaimielyn2001 at 4:47 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• All my kids were different. Sometimes they only got one bath a week. My second born got them frequently, but even at 2 years old, he has never had a bath daily. He was a spitter upper so he had frequent baths! Lol! It is entirely up to you how often. I think I bathed them the most when they were learning to feed themselves!! It was the easiest way to clean them after dinner. It makes for some great pictures!! (And my kids don't stink - if they do, they get a bath) :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:40 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I'm guessing it would depend on the baby, I mean some babies have those chubby neck rolls and when they drool or spit up it gets icky in there. I've heard bathing everyday dries out their skin, but again everybody's skin is different.
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 7:51 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My 1 year old son gets a bath every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. After bath: powder in the summer, lotion in the winter.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I bathe our 4 month old every other day with Dove's body wash for sensitive skin and follow up wither Eucerin lotion (Pediatrician recommended this, worked out great) her skin doesn't like Johnson & Johnson.
    contrariant

Answer by contrariant at 1:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2009