What is sensory processing disorder?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• http://www.spdfoundation.net/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Thank you anon. that's a good link.

SPD is basically where a persons nervous system is all screwed up. They don't process the sensory stimulates in the same way others do. There are different kinds of SPD. Some are sensory seeking. Children like this often get misdiagnosed with ADHD. others have sensory overload and many children like this get misdiagnosed with bi-polar or ADD.
    We all have sensory issues at some point in time. But these people deal with it every day all the time. there are many things that a parent can do to help a child with SPD. One of the easiest things is to make sure the child is getting enough Omega's. Those essential fatty acids are crucial for keeping the nervous system running efficiently.
    I looked up a lot of this stuff and read a book or two because i think DS1 might have SPD sensory seeking.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:46 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• A good book: Out of Sync Child
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• My son has SPD and OT was WONDERFUL for him!! He's made great strides in learning how to cope with his sensory challenges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• My cousin's daughter was misdiagnosed with a sensory processing disorder. My poor cousin went through months of stress and literally worried herself sick about her daughter. She was showing some odd symptoms such as kicking the mirror during dance class, screaming when she was in a large crowd and some other symptoms. A lady who was the parent of one of the kids in her dance class who is some sort of child developmental specialist, noticed her behavior and told my cousin that's what was wrong with her and recommended all sorts of therapy for her. My cousin ordered these special CD's for her and did some other things, and after taking her back and forth to her pediatrician and a couple of other specialists, it turned out, there was nothing wrong with her other than behavior and discipline issues.

Not to say these disorders don't exist,they do. There are alot of websites about sensory issues and therapy for them.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:41 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• It's VERY easy to tell the difference between SPD and discipline issues! And the fact that that woman spoke based only on what she saw in a dance class....whatever license she has should be yanked.
    Anonymous

I agree!! I was really upset when my cousin told me that Caroline had Sensory Integration Dysfunction, based on this one person's opinion, and my poor cousin was just a nervous wreck. Then after weeks of dragging her back and forth to the doctor and specialists, finding out there was nothing wrong. I was like, "WHAAAT?"My cousin's MIL is an elementary school teacher, and she even told her she didn't think anything was wrong with her and she has been teaching for over 20 years, and obviously would know if there was a special need or not.

I do have a question though. I have a friend in my homeschooling group whose son cannot stand to wear long sleeved clothes or pants and gets upset in crowds. Would that be a sensory issue?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2009