going crazy... sids

My son is just over 4 months... i'm pretty new to this site and got stuck on the sids posts... all those babys were sooo beautiful and perfect.... i've been staring at their pictures for a week. i cry for them every night. I'm scared that i'm drawn to these stories for a reason. I am so scared of losing my son... i sleep less than two hours a night and can barely take my eyes off of him... one of the babies looked just like him

serinaberina

Asked by serinaberina at 2:00 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• welcome to motherhood!!! scary isnt it? these are a million things that can happen everyday. you do your best and pray! things like that are out of your hands..
    make sure the crib is safe, no blankets.. no anything.. make sure u keep the room cool etc etc.. google all the precautions and follow them.
    you will be fine mama and so will your baby :-)
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 2:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• every new mommy is that way! I promise it will get better. I have anxiety issues so i try to stear clear of anything that has to do with something hurting babies or kids or anything with then dying! I can't handle that sort of stuff. I watched this video about child abuse that had actual footage and i didnt sleep for weeks! You jsut have to tell your self that youare doing everything you can to protect you kids! Trust me i know it very stressfull right now but it will get better. There are studies that show sids babies have a chemical impalance, most babies when there is something in front of their face making it hard to breath they will move their head, my boys were moving and lifting their head when they were 2 weeks old. Just make sure there isnt anything with him while he is sleeping and he will be fine! It gets better.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:10 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• i did this all the time when my son was younger now that i look back on it i think wow i really could have slept because if it is going to happen then it is going to. you know? but if i was to have another child i still would prob do it anyways just what we do
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Hon, you're going to make yourself nuts if you continue to do this. Watching him isn't going to stop it if it's going to happen. It's called "sudden" for a reason. If you continue to worry about what "might" happen, then you're not going to enjoy the time you have with him.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Hugs. Yes, I do know how you feel, my great niece passed from sids 1 month before my 1st child was born. I was scared to death that it could happen to him... and then I realized that all my worry and fear were ruining my happiness with him. I then let it go and turned it over to my higher power that all would be ok. I also took the precautions-- had him sleep on his side (recommended at that time), did not put toys or bumpers in the crib... He was fine, and so were the 2 other children we had.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I don't think you were drawn to those posts for a reason, other than you are a new mom who is worried. All new moms worry about this. I would suggest you not look at those posts about SIDS for now. Even now, my youngest child is 14 years old, I can barely bear to watch those things.....or any of those things where kids are hurt or killed. Too sad. Just focus on your baby, and taking care of him/her. Try to sleep, you really do need all the rest you can get to take care of your baby. You can't let yourself dwell on the horrible things that can happen in life, it'll drive you crazy.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 8:53 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• they sell sensors you can put under the baby that feels them breathe. if they dont have that movement for over so many seconds an alarm goes off. i know how you feel because my son had sleep apnea! it was terrible, he is 4 now and i still worry. but a sensor could make you be albe to sleep more, you wont last long on 2 hours a night!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Ok, breathe! It is normal to worry about you baby. It is not normal to become so panicked that you are losing sleep. You cannot control SIDS..and most babies who die of it, they are finding had other anomolies. Do what you can, put baby on back or side to sleep. Don't smoke near him. They do think perhaps pacifiers help prevent SIDS as it keeps the baby sucking periodically during sleep, thus making them breathe. Do your homework on the subject, we are not doctors, but concentrate on what you can do, not on what you can't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Angel care monitors are not for SIDS. They alert you to apnea episodes, but if the baby had died from SIDS, the monitor is only going to alert you earlier to the problem.....but it's not going to stop SIDS from happening. I hate reading that women think those damn things will prevent/stop/help with SIDS.
    Anonymous