Scheduled c-section

Im 33 weeks and leaning toward having a scheduled 2nd c-section. reason being: The doctor is predicting my boy to be a lil on the large side and i dont want to mess up my goodies...;) 2.)my mom had to have c-sections with all 3 of her kids because of her pelvis being too small (which is why I had one the first time) 3.) My kids dad has left and I have no one at home with me AND everyone in my family works full-time. I would have to get someone to be able to leave work & pick her up before i even go to the hospital and keep her for the entire time im hospitalized because they have banned all kids under 18 from the hospital because of the H1N1 epidemic. I do have a couple questions though:

1.) if you go into labor before your scheduled date, what do they do? do they allow you to contract or just prep u for surgery?

2.) does the doctor still check your cervix at you a in your last month to see if you're dialating

mzhazelrae313

Asked by mzhazelrae313 at 3:13 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 1. If you go into labor before your scheduled c-section, you're just rushed in as soon as they can get you in and you'll have your c-section.
    2. If they want you to they will, my Dr. hasn't checked me at all since I'm a repeat, it doesn't really matter. I did get checked at L&D the other day and of course no sign of impending labor! lol I'm 39 weeks today.

Good luck with your delivery!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 4:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• If you have true CPD and can't deliver vaginally there is no option here. But if you have the ability to birth naturally, this is a safe route. An unnecessary elective cesarean adds many unnecessary risks to you and the baby~ a very serious consideration.

There is nothing wrong with "big" babies-- moms have natural births with them everyday. The most important factor is *how* the mom labors. If she works with her body to move & stay upright (working with gravity), she can have a normal-natural delivery.

Birth doesn't mess up" --don't worry about anything like that. The more natural a mom births, the easier and safer her experience and recovery can be. Consider getting some help and information so you can make an informed decision. I have some I can share, let me know if you'd like me to pass it along.

You are not your mom of course, her situation does not equal your situation. ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:44 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• (cont.)
    Childcare is very important! But adding big risks to yourself and your baby for convenience is a serious matter. Setting up a plan for help when the time comes can ease the concerns. You can consider a birth doula that will help you through labor at home and with your child until someone is able to be with her, too.
    Actually, a birth doula will help in numerous ways!! ;-)

1. Yes, they will probably prep you for surgery asap.
    2. No, I think that most times, they don't check.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:46 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• well, if you have a c/s who's going to stay home w/ you while you recover to take care of the your other kids? it's best to try labor first. that is the only true way to determine if you have a small pelvis and cannot deliver a "big baby".
    and everything that doulala said.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Listen to Doulala. That was super great advice.

I have had 2 c-sections and have my 3rd one scheduled on Dec 16. I would NEVER have a c-section unless absolutely medically necessary. The recovery is terrible and you will not be able to care for or lift you older child without help for weeks. After my second and after this 3rd c-sections, my MIL has to stay with my for 6 weeks because I'm not able to lift my toddlers. I will not even be able to give them baths, put them in their cribs or their high chairs, wrestle with them for diaper changes, etc.

The vagina is designed to deliver babies. Most of the time it snaps back tighter after healing from birth than it even was previous to birth. The recovery is much smoother with a vaginal delivery than it is with a c-section.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:45 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Listen to the Doula, remember that after a c-section you will be unable to care for your toddler for about a week. After a vaginal delivery you should be up to it by the time they let you out of the hospital. Labor doesn't start with a bang, it builds up. You should have plenty of time to get help with your daughter before you even need to go to the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 25, 2009