when to introduce pacifier?

i think she is using my boob as a pacifier, which is fine until she spits up copious amounts of milk and wants right back on. dad gave her two oz of my milk, she didnt want the three,then she nursed on top of that

20 days old

does she need a pacifier?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:10 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok well i offered and she didnt take
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:24 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• how old is your LO? I did similar accidentally which caused my tiny 5lb 13oz newborn to gain every thing back by the time we left the hospital 3 days later. he was full term. i gave him the pacifier 3 days after we got home for my sanity. try holding it in for a bit. babies who don't get a binky at birth tend to spit it right out unless you hold them in for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• yea as pp said you have to hold it there so they can get used to it. Try diff brands to get her used to one that she likes. But at that age I still beleive in teaching to self soothe. If she is changed, fed, burped, and just simply inconsolable then let her cry it out. It worked for my daughter.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Once your supply evens out, it shouldn't be a problem... she's got a growth spurt coming up and will start taking more milk and then your supply will regulate. Just hold out, it's best to do without a paci if at all possible.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Staci, have we looked at overactive letdown or dairy reaction for you?

Answer by gdiamante at 2:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• when I was BF'ing my son, I waited 3wks or so I think before I wanted to introduce the paci, just because I was TERRIFIED of him having nipple confusion. he took right to it and had no problems switching b/w breast/paci/bottle.

good luck hun!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My LO was doing the exact same thing!! No joke. He's 4 weeks and I started giving him his bink just this last week, no confusion at all between boob and bink. Though if he's half asleep and it falls out he'll wake up wanting it, so that's a pain, but much easier to deal with then the enormous amount of breast milk every where when he throws it up. I would say go for, but you will probably have to hold the pacifier in for a while before they get used to it.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2009