Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 7 yo daughter told me yeterday that her 10 yo brother molested her...

What she explained to me is aweful, disgusting & utterly horrifying. He did not penetrate her, but got closde. I tried to file a Temporary protective order yesterday, sat in court for 8 hours, when i finally saw the judge, she said she cannot do anything with the order because the respondant is a minor. I could only file a TPO on an adult. So, she said to go to the police station today & file a report. This is my question...

Do i have to bring my daughter in so that they can question her? I do not want her to have to go through explaining this again. Should i bring my DD with me to the police dept?


Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • As a foster parent who has had training in how to handle "outcries" (when the child admits abuse), we are told NOT to question, NOT to probe further, but to contact CPS and his/her counselor if there is one, so that the "experts" can handle the information ONCE. If she has to tell her story over and over and she remembers more details later or changes her wording to some degree, they can say that her story is changing and it didn't happen. Where I live, CPS would interview her on video, and that way her story can be admitted into evidence "sometimes" w/o her testifying. It just depends on the attys and judge. I'm sorry that this has happened to your DD and am relieved that she has a mother who is protecting her. I'd get an atty ASAP, try to modify the parental arrangement, and change schools. Or can you move into that district? I understand it's about protecting her from further abuse at this point, though, not schools.

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • Why don't you call first and ask that question? It seems to me that they will have someone knowledgeable about how to question a young girl. Or they will make an appt for when that person can see your daughter. You can ask for them to come to your house to question her, so she is more comfortable. In my area our Child Guidance place handles the questioning with the police watching through a 2 way mirror. Hugs to you and your daughter.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 7:24 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • OP here; i must add that her older brother is not my son. He is her 1/2 brother & this happened at her fathers house.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • First thing you should do is talk to your EX,her father. then inform him she will not be stay over there any more unless his son is not there. Make sure he knows he is more the welcome to come visit her at your house. that you are just trying to protect your child. You might want to call CPS and see what they can do about it or a lawyer.


    Answer by louise2 at 7:52 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • Totally misspelling. I meant (more then welcome).


    Answer by louise2 at 7:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • My ex knows. We talked about it. His solution? To put her in day care after school until 6:00, so that they spend less time around eachother. Not good enough for me, he could easily sneak into her room at night or something. Her dad is not willing to compromise the custody we have set up. We have shared legal & physical custody, but he is primary parent because he lives in an excellent school district. Biggest mistake i've ever made in my life.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • my friend did this to his sis when they were around this age. his mother sent it to court bc his father wouldn't pay her 4000. seriously! he spent time in jail, spent more than 300 a week on lie-detector tests, spent money on group counseling, and he's a registered sex offender. this is all before the age 16. the father needs to throw your dd brother in couseling immediately. you have to protect your child, but i want you to know that you WILL be ruining this boys life before it even starts. i know he did soemthing wrong though.

    Answer by angevil53 at 8:19 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • I don't care about ruining this boys life...he could possibly do this to another child at some point. The way i see it, he should be reported. He tried to force my daughter into sex, & made her give him fellatio against her will. Ruining this boys life is my top priority.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • Maybe they have special programs and possibily even a home for the boy...if he's only 10, then chances are he learn that from somewhere else sadly maybe even try to figure out where the 10 yr old learned that.

    Answer by huniyxyz at 8:47 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • sorry but sounds to me like you are doing this so you can get full custody...pretty crappy

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2009