Does Obama know what unprecedented means?

The White House’s announcement of its unprecedented – “a first by an American president visiting China” – town hall meeting with students in Beijing?

“I think I attended a town hall with President Bush in China,” former Bush adviser Karen Hughes quipped with a laugh, recalling a 2002 Bush speech in Beijing where he took questions from the audience. “I thought: Were they asleep? Or were they dreaming? I remember standing and watching President Bush engage in a town hall that I believe was televised.”
President Bill Clinton also took questions from Chinese students at an event during a trip to the country in 1998, then did a radio call-in show in Shanghai the next day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Obama has said he “took office amidst unprecedented economic turmoil,” and that the situation demanded “unprecedented international cooperation” and resulted in his signing of the “unprecedented economic recovery act.” Yet it seems the Great Depression and the New Deal might be considered precedents for the current economic crisis and the $787 billion stimulus plan.

And Obama’s promise of “an unprecedented effort to root out waste and inefficiency” sounded a lot like past presidents.

The White House’s characterization of Obama’s Beijing town hall mirrored the description staff gave Obama’s address to students on the first day of school, which the Education Department called “historic.” Yet President George H.W. Bush delivered an address to students, as did President Ronald Reagan. Maybe it was the streaming online video of President Obama’s speech to students that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• On bipartisanship, Obama also raised a few eyebrows when during his first press conference he cited “putting three Republicans in my Cabinet” as “something that is unprecedented.”

“He is right – assuming he's talking specifically about selecting three Republicans (and not Democrats in a Republican administration) simultaneously and during the first term (not over the course of a presidency),” the National Journal pointed out. The magazine noted that Johnson, Harry S Truman and Franklin Delano Roosevelt had three Republicans serving in their Democratic administrations. Republicans Gerald Ford and Dwight Eisenhower had three Democrats serving in theirs.
    Anonymous

• Obama's unprecedented use of "unprecedented" will likely continue in his second year in office, when the administration is expected to tackle the unprecedented deficit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20091125/pl_politico/29896
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Oh I know...don't you just miss "The Decider"???? His vocabulary was stellar. Uh huh.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I thought number of times he uses the first person pronouns "I, me, mine, my" is what is unprecedented. To quote from The Princess Bride, "I don't think that means what you think it means!".

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• OHHH Jesse, that is my favorite movie... "No more Rhymes and I mean it"...... "anyone want a peanut"!!!

Obama and his administration exaggerating their efforts? Inconceivable! ;o) ~Not poor Obama he is merely a victim of what he inherited. Let's forget about all the campaigning he did to GET the job.. Let's let him whine about how hard the job is... pooor pooooor Obama

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• More lies and gross exaggerations.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:44 AM on Nov. 25, 2009