Did you get your chuld the MMR vaccine and were there any effects? ( not Autism specifically, just side effects)

I am more worried about this vaccine than the others for some reason. I have him up to date on all of his others, but I dont know why I worry about this one.

MomofDom21

Asked by MomofDom21 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• That is the scariest shot of all to me. It leaves a perminant scar on the arm - that says it all to me about how dangerous it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• To Anon: 56 - The shot doesn't leave a permanent scar on the arm; where in the world did you hear that?

To the OP: My son had a sustained fever of 103 for a week after the MMR was given and he ended up in the hospital, eventually developing a fever of 105 before it broke and his temp went back to normal. He wasn't the same for a loooong time after that happened, but seemed to be fully recovered by the time he was 3, catching up to his peers and everything. He's fine now, but has some learning difficulties.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My kids are all fully vaccinated and they've never had a reaction to any of them...even when getting 2 or 3 shots at the same time. The most they've ever had is a low grade fever that went away after a day.
    And none of my kids have scars from getting the MMR shot. I couldn't even tell you where they were given it (on the leg somewhere).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:10 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My three were fine. I believe that the oldest was a little sleepier than normal; but he is the world's worst sleeper and we saw it as a good thing.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• The scar thing isn't true at all. That poster is thinking of some vaccine they gave decades ago. I was born in the 70's and didn't get it, but my husband and sister were born in the 60's and both got that vaccine and have the scar.

As for the original question, both of my toddlers, my neice, my nephew, and even my adult SIL have all had the MMR with not side effects besides a low grade fever for about 15 hours. All of my mommy friends vaccinate and their kids did fine with the MMR shot too.

The MMR is very important, it protects against measles, mumps, and German measles throughout a child's life. All of these diseases can be very serious, even possibly life threatening and can cause sterility.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Measles, mumps, and rubella are easy to treat now. I was only given 1 of the MMR series when I was in 5th grade. I did not get the infant shots. I had a blood work up done when I first got pregnant. My immunity to all 3 is WELL in the safe zone. The multiple boosters aren't necessary. There is plenty of research out there to make you feel confident in your very good instinct to skip it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:43 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• the one with the scar would be the smallpox vaccination that was given decades ago.

all my girls have the MMR and the only side effects were a slight fever, irritation in the shot location and grumpy for a couple of days.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:59 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• 5 kids all had shots, no bad reactions.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:27 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• my daughter had this shot and the chicken pox shot at the same time. The only reaction she had was she got one bump on her stomach that we had to keep covered until it went away, and I think that was from the chicken pox vaccine not the mmr.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• You worry because of all the CRAP that is posted on message boards and in the media about it.

All of mine had the shot...all of their shots...no reactions.

Oh, they had their flu shots and H1N1 shots too.
    Anonymous