Do you do this or what?

Do you have Thanksgiving and Christmas at your parents every year until they are no longer living? Does everyone pretty much do that? Then at your inlaws and then at your own home with your kids and husband? So you have 3 Christmas'?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• Well, I'm a single mom, so I don't have inlaws anymore. But yes, we do have the holidays at my parents, all the big ones. For Christmas, we open presents at our own home in the morning, then go down to my parents later in the morning for more presents and the dinner. My ex's family (including him) has chosen to have nothing to do with my kids, so...my parents are all they've got right now. But, my boyfriend and I are getting pretty serious, so they may have a new set of grandparents by next year, which will just thrill them. :) We'll have to figure things out, then, though, b/c his dad lives in our state, but an hour away and his mom lives across the country. Fun, fun. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:52 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• When I was a kid, we had Christmas morning at my mom's, Christmas afternoon at my dads (or vice versa, depending on who got us kids on which holidays), and Christmas night at my stepdads (they werent married yet at the time and did not live together). 3 Christmases... busy day...
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Just ask every buddy if having Holidays a different peoples houses every year would work. Like Thanksgiving at your house and Christmas at your patents house. You might still have to go to the in laws house separately though.

Answer by louise2 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Yes, we do Christmas morning at home, then we do bruch with his whole family on his dads side were talking aunts uncles, etc. then we go to my parents in the afternoon. his mom lives out of state so the kids dont see her a lot. We always tell ourselves that we are not going to go to everyones place, but it never happens that way.
    mandic

Answer by mandic at 10:56 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Well, I DID do that until my son was 2 and got real sick the day after Christmas, then I decided he didn't need to be out and about in the cold every holiday season just to make "memories" for everyone else. We started our OWN traditions and holiday routines in our new home. All is welcome to come see my son, their grandchild or eat my food. So I plan one group over on Christmas Eve evening for "looking for Santa, leave out reindeer food, milk and cookies, ect. Then, on group on Christmas morning to watch presents being opened and play, some arrive for the Christmas meal, and then my other friends or family stop by later in the evening for another round of presents and desert.
    So my son has christmas at home, I don't have to carry tons of gifts around in my car back and forth, or travel with food. Works for me. I figure my parents got to see me as a child for christmas, so it's my turn to be the parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• No. We visited my mother the first 2 Christmases and one Thanksgiving. Thats been it though. My MIL and FIL are deceased.

We prefer being at home with just us for the holidays. We may spend time with my BIL and his family during Christmas but I highly doubt we'd really have 2 "holidays". They arent that inviting LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Thanksgiving with the in-laws. Christmas with my family. We just had a daughter and don't really have any of our own traditions yet, but I hope we will have some soon.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2009