My 2 kids recently got hearing aides.How do i handle and deal with this stress?

When School started in August They tested both My Son and Daughter's hearing.the results shocked me.They both need to see an Audiologist" Ear Doctor". I was like OK maybe they need Tubes in their ears or something.We went to the Doctor and the results he gave me Just Drained me,"Your kids both have Hearing lose in Both ear's and need hearing aides.I lost it right there in Front of my husband and Doctor. They got there Hearing Aides friday and i find it very stressful. Any one out here going through this same thing? Help me Deal with this as its very stressful and irrataiting at the same time.

Lil_mama9402

Asked by Lil_mama9402 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• My husband lost his hearing as a child due to a kidney disease. The best thing you can possibly do is to not stress in front of them. They are already going to feel different at school, home is where they need to feel safe now. I'm not saying you are doing that, just saying keep that in mind. It's not their fault, an they can't help it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• You have given them the gift of hearing. What is there to stress about?

Now they can hear the sound of your voice when you tell them you love them.
    Now they can hear the sound of their teacher and know what their peers are learning.
    Now they can hear the sound of snow crunching under their feet.
    Now they can hear the birds singing in the trees.
    Now they can hear the kitten purring.....on and on and on....

Now they can HEAR.
    Anonymous

• Please, please, please be thankful that you found out now. My son was diagnosed with a 60% hearing loss when he was 13, before he got an Ipod, or any of that hearing loss stuff....and he fought and fought and fought against wearing his hearing aids. He still doesn't wear them now. It came at such a terrible time for him. Your kids are little and will adapt. I remember one day when my son was wearing his and he said "what's that sound". It was a bird. He had never heard one before. It breaks MY heart to see him struggle when there is technology to help him. Please be thankful you found out "early".
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Ask at the doctor's office if they know of any local support groups for families with children who are deaf or hard of hearing (often referred to as HOH) and attend a few meetings. Being able to talk to other families and share your struggles will help you tremendously! And they may even have a play group your kids could attend and be able to interact with other child just like them, which could really go a long way toward helping them to accept their new hearing aides. There are also many groups on Cafemom that are for parents of special needs children, there may be one just for parents raising deaf or HOH children, so please search one out and join - the support, even over the web, can really make a difference.

Hugs!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Stress bc your children can hear? I'm not getting it.
    Anonymous