Thanksgiving Tips....what are yours

Do you have anything that you do that makes things so much easier? Share!

If you are using a foil pan to cook your turkey, first place it on a cookie sheet. It makes it MUCH easier to get the turkey in and out of the oven.

Oven bags. That is the easiest way to get a moist, well cooked turkey.

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• my tip for anyone- have an easy, back up for a couple dishes. i always make sure they are instant mashed potatoes and canned veggies in my pantry, plus premade cookies in my fridge, just in case of a disaster with a home made recipe!!!!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 12:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Rhodes Rolls....they are frozen, but they are great. I spray my muffin tin with non stick spray and place 2 rolls in each spot. They defrost and rise in about 4-5 hours and then you bake. Everyone thinks you slaved over parker house rolls. Very easy!
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Wine! Lots of wine....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Im cooking everything i can tonight, and playing the reheat game tomorrow...the only thing that will be "freshly" done is the turkey, and adding marshmellows to my yams!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• anyone have any tips fr Ham? SO doesnt like turkey so I bought some ham. I admit, I did NOT buy the pre-cooked ham which would have been easier lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:57 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• When I bake a ham that is not pre cooked, I put it in a turkey roaster, fill the turkey roaster with water and cover. Bake until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. The ham is moist and not as salty as it would be if it were roasted.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I think you can use the roaster bags for ham too. You can find some questions here to Alton Borwn from the food network. There are a few about ham.

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/References/TheInterviews/TheChat2000-11-19.htm
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• thanks for the ham tips ladies! SO and I havent cooked a ham before! I might leave that up to him since I dont like handling meat lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Brine the turkey the night before - makes all the difference in the world. In a pinch you can do a salt rub instead, but it's not quite the same. Also (and this goes for roasts/chicken/etc too) put it on 500 first then turn it down - it will sear itself, cook faster, and not dry out. After about a half hour turn it down to 350 until it hits 160, then let it rest the last 5 degrees out of the oven. Never trust the little pop up thingies either - they lie.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I always make everything from scratch, but I do it over 2-3 days, depending on the particular sides and desserts on the menu. Everything that can be done ahead of time will make things easier. I pre-measure ingredients especially for cakes and things that require lots of measuring. I chop and pre measure onions, celery, pecans that are also pre toasted, and store them in containers in the frige for stuffing, cranberry salad, etc. There are even things that are even better when allowed to sit in the fridge and chill out for awhile before baking...like stuffing! I always do that at least one day ahead. In fact, mostly the things that are done on Thanksgiving day is the turkey, green beans and corn just about everything else is premade and either freshly baked or reheated depending on the dish. You can have the most awesome menu when you plan it out and take your time...no sweat, no hurry, no worry.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2009