What Do You Think About This?

Medical Marijuana Prescribed to Kids with ADHD

In California, the state with the nation's most permissive medical marijuana law, some children with attention deficit hyperacitivty disorder, or ADHD, are being treated with marijuana -- a fact that has sparked a heated debate over the move.

Reliable figures on the use of marijuana to treat ADHD are hard to come by. Though California says it has issued over 36,000 medical marijuana cards since 2004, the state does not compile statistics on prescriptions for specific conditions, like ADHD. And many doctors and patients are reluctant to talk about it. Still, experts say such prescriptions are becoming more common as the number of pot dispensaries and doctors prescribing marijuana continues to grow.

LINK IN REPLY BELOW.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 11:49 AM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Health

• FULL STORY HERE

Sorry if this was already posted. I did not see it anywhere.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My opinion is that I do not approve of small kids using it. Their brains are still developing. Older kids, such as teens 15 and up, I am still iffy on it. I fully support medical Marijuana, but there is something else. I know I'll catch a lot of flack for this, but I do not believe that ADD/ADHD is a disorder of its own. I believe that it is actually a symptom of other disorders, such Asperger Syndrome, Autism, possibly Tourette Syndrome,etc. Let me be clear. I DO believe that ADD/ADHD exists, just that is not its own disorder. And in order to properly treat ADD/ADHD, the diagnoses should be looked into more, to treat the main conditions that I believe it accompanies. Now, back on topic, I just can't get behind treating children with something that may inhibit their growth in more than one way. If there were more evidence of its benefits in kids, and they outweighed the risks, I MIGHT get behind it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• It is safer than amphetimines.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2009