Should we do another main dish, like a ham?

So, my mother hasn't cooked a Thanksgiving dinner in like 13 years, dad did it. This year, mom and I are doing it. She got a 10 lb turkey from work and she is cooking that. Everything I have read says that you should account 1 lb per person. We are having 8 (maybe 9 if Dad shows up) adults, 2 kids. I think that might cut it a bit close, even though there will be a lot of sides. Should I get a ham just to be safe? And, where can I get a precooked ham that I would just have to reheat since my mom has a somewhat small oven?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Holidays

• I always thought it was 1/2 a pound per person. You can do a ham, all ham is pre-cooked, that's how it becomes ham, by smoking/curing. Almost any grocery store will have a variety of hams you can choose from, you can ask the butcher which would be best for you.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I always do a ham along with 2 turkey breasts when I do Thanksgiving dinner. This yr my MIL is and she will do a turkey and either ham or lasagna one yr all of them....
    It never hurts to have a lot of left overs....
    I would get a ham of about 8-10 lbs to add to it....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• you should be fine. the best idea is to take the turkey off the bone and put on a platter before serving. that way you can gauge how much is there and let everyone know thats it. but with enough side dishes and extra stuff you'll be fine.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I think your cutting it tight! But i dont know how much your adults eat...I bought a 17 lb turkey for what was supposed to be 10 people, mostly women...but now a couple canceled so its only going to be 8....I will have PLENTY of leftovers, we shall be eating turkey EVERYTHING!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2009