Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advise on getting my daughter diagnosed

My 5 year old obviously has some developmental delays, she has the vocabulary of maybe a 2 year old. She has medicaid, and all her dr would do was refer her to a speech therapist. I know her problem is greater than that. Maybe Autism? Does anybody know of anywhere that takes medicaid that could help me figure out exactly whats going with her and how to help her?

Answer Question

Asked by MomOf3GA at 12:18 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Google Autism Screens + ________ your home town. In my town the screenings are free and if they see reasons they will refer you to be evaluated and from there if a diagnosis is needed, then she will get her diagnosis.

    Autistic or not communication is everything so take the speech therapy and keep searching for screenings which is the first step.

    Answer by bebita at 12:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • Contact your local school system. You should be eligble for screenings and intervention.

    Answer by rkoloms at 12:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • I would still take her to the speech therapist, but we have a clinic hosted by the hospital every month that does Autism and other screenings. Perhaps you would have something like that. I think just Google like PP suggested to see if you can find something in your area to help you. But definitely see the speech therapist in the meantime.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • Our son fell through the cracks with private insurance so its' not just Medicaid. I think as your daughter will be coming into the school system very soon so you could start there. Call the school district. I believe tax paid educational testing is manditory. At least it is in our state. Make a list of your concerns. Were there also delays in motor skills, comprehension, visual tracking, etc. Since you have internet access I'd google the symptoms. You may come across support groups and those parents are wonderful founts of information. Gather as much information as possible. Also I'd talk to your congressman's office, they may know of procedures or resources available in your area. Hope these help.

    Answer by oddfox at 12:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • Call medicaid and tell them that you are looking for a developmental pediatrician in your area. Once you have a name call them up so they can put in the request for 'approval' to evaluate. I can't remember the actual term they use right now... Then it will take a few weeks for that to go through. at that point an appointment can be made. I am going through he same thing right now with my son who is on medicaid...

    Answer by But_Mommie at 6:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • Authorization! that's what it's called!

    Answer by But_Mommie at 6:04 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • Call your school district and have them do the evaluation. It is free and then you can get the treatment too. The school district should have a psychologist or psychiatrist on staff to do the evaluation, along with the speech department, OT department and other support staff.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

  • Call the school district's special education department. It's so sad your doctor wouldn't help her earlier! It's not too late, but would have been better earlier.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

  • Contact the school district.

    Answer by lynnard at 11:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.