Do you consider diversity in America to be a strength or a weakness?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 12:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A weakness. Everybody is too interested in representing their own cultural roots or cause (African-American, Gay-American, etc etc etc). No one seems to be committed to America first.
    A house divided will fall.
    Anonymous

• It can be a strength if people would live IN diversity and stop looking for ways to profit from it's weaknesses.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I would have though that it is a strength. Unfortunately, it's become clear that the more we are alike, the more hell bent people are to insist on their differences being recognized and sometimes taking priority. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I think it's becoming a weakness, because the diversity is extending to people who have very different values and have no interest in becoming part of the existing culture, but in forcing the existing culture to adapt to them. Things like honor killings, sharia laws, and such.
    Diversity no longer means foods and dress. It means compleetely different lifestyles. And those lifestyles don't seem to do well inclose proximity. I don't want to have my kids going to school with kids who are allowed to take knives to school under cultural tolerance, or have to board up the windows in the local gym because Jewish boys walk by on the way to school and think shorts are offensive, or have 14 families living in one house and blocking the street with all their junky cars, or have to explain to my daughter why her friends dad murdered her for talking to the wrong boy.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a strength. There's nothing wrong with pride in your particular cultural roots. I am an African American FIRST, and an American second. I think we if all learned to celebrate the diversity that American offers, instead of resenting it, our country would be a much better place.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Both. It's a strength when we are a melting pot, when people can enjoy St. Patricks day and Cinco de Mayo, when being different makes for an interesting culture. It's a weakness when people play the race card, gay card, or whatever card to circumvent the rules and bash others.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• And Fallaya proves the point. Never American first.

Anonymous

• Fallaya, I know African Americans who went to Africa and are glad they were born in the US. They choose to know longer use the term african in front of american. Your an American or not. I don't refer to myself as Irish American.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Diversity is wonderful, it is what makes us unique. The problem is when the differences are used to control or abuse. For example, It shouldn't be a bad thing to wish someone "Merry Christmas," if you are not a Christian, just say "you too" and move on. Don't make it about control. If you pray in school, it should be okay, if you don't pray that should be okay too. Personal rights and choices should be respected as long as it does not show hatred toward another. I may not agree with your beliefs but I shoud always respect and try to understand them.
    Cbous

Answer by Cbous at 1:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• In a perfect world, it would be a strength. I don't think there are many people in the modern world who don't appreciate different cultures. (Whether they agree with them or not is a totally different thing.)

Unfortunately, since we're all obsessed with being right all the time, it's become a weakness. I wish we could learn to work together instead of huddling in a mass with others that are "like us". You can't learn anything new if you don't take a chance.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2009