At what age....

...do you stop going in front of your child naked? I mean, when he was a baby I showered with him in the roon so I could keep an eye on him. Now he's 1 1/2 and I shower with the door open, so I can hear everything, and he can come in and go out as he pleases. Same with getting ready, once I'm out of the shower drying off he usually comes in by me. When should I keep the door closed and quickly throw a robe on afterward? What age is best to keep covered up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think there is a set age, you kind of have to go by when it is uncomfortable for you and your child. My 9 year old still sees me change. He doesn't sit there and stare, but if he comes into the room while I'm changing to ask me something, it's not a big deal. When we're home alone, he'll go to the bathroom with the door open, of course he doesn't do it in front of company! I'm just saying he is comfortable enough to do it. I'm not saying I strip down and stand in front of him! Believe me, they will let you know when they don't want to see you naked! And if anon :46 thinks being naked in front of her kids is going to traumatize them, wait until they find out where they came out of when they were born!
    Anonymous

• birth... thats gross. I was never naked in front of my kids, Only the day they were born. Cause they shouldnt see stuff like that.
    Anonymous

• your son wont remember you being naked, and people like the anon :46 are reasons why we find the body so disgusting. Once your not comfortable or your kids are old enough to understand, it may be time. to each is own. Dont turn it into something nasty and disgusting, you are mommy!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Excuse me? what about people who breastfeed?! They have to show their boob to their baby right?! I know I am not the only one who does this. I'm not ashamed of my body, and with a colic baby I had no choice but to keep an eye on him. And I don't feel comfortable closing the door on my 1 1/2 year old, only to hear him pounding on the other side.
    Anonymous

• Thank you sweetkisses!!
    Anonymous

• ANON 12:46 IS A WHACKO! THERE IS NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF. I AGREE WITH SWEETKISSES YOU'LL FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE & YOU'LL JUST KNOW THAT'S WHEN IT'S TIME TO COVER UP.
    Anonymous

• My 5 year old barges in on me in the shower, the tub, my bedroom...etc...all the time. At this point I'm trying to be gentle with it. I don't want to freak him out with OH MY GOD...IT"S EVIL TO BE NAKED. Because I don't believe that. I want him to be comfortable with his body. So....he is starting to want a little privacy so I ask him to give me privacy. He's starting to understand. My mom was the same way with her kids...I'm not scarred by it. I have a very healthy body image. I hope the same will hold true for my son.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 12:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I go by the child's lead. When they start to want privacy when using the restroom or changing, this has been at ages 5-6+ with my kids.
    Anonymous

• For me, it was when he was begining to talk that I stopped letting him in the shower or bathtub with me. The last thing I want is him telling a relative about mommy's boobies.
    Anonymous