Is it true that my kids can't join BoyScouts with their friends because I'm a BiSexual Pagan??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No i dont believe any of that matters to boyscouts. Im a girl scout leader and we dont ask any of that on the registration form.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• religion and sexuality has NOTHING to do with it.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• no that is silly! if you have been told this, then they are lying.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• where are you getting your information from?
    Anonymous

• No not true. as long as you dont run around pack and den meetings screaming "i'm a bi-sexual pagan" then its not an issue, it is not a subject that comes up at scouts. Now if you go in and try to explain your beliefs then people will complain just like they do when parents of different christian beliefs try spreading their word, the religon aspects are to be taught at home not at scouts.
    Anonymous

• I believe they can join but you have to realize that they will have to participate in such things as prayer, the oath, etc. Things that go opposite to the way you believe and the boy scouts have the right to do so. Are you prepared for them to come home from a meeting and say "Mom you're wrong. That's not what the Boy Scouts believe" etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My mother and my aunt were troop leaders in my girl scouts. We had a girl that had a very interesting living arrangement. Her mother was married to a man that wasn't the girl's father, and they shared a live in girlfriend. She was not excluded from anything because of that. And most of us were different religions. We had some girls that couldn't eat certain things do to religion and some girls that couldn't participate in some of the badges because of religion. But they were never ostracized for it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• There's no express rule against it aside from him being required to pray. The question is, are you comfortable with him being a member of a homophobic organization?
    Anonymous

• Well, I'm Buddhist... and my boys can't join.... so maybe it depends on your area. Here is an interesting read:
    http://www.bsalegal.org/faqs-195.asp
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I doubt there are any laws that say bi-sexual pagans cannot join boy scouts. I'm not sure why your religious or sexual beliefs would come up.

There is a close connection to the BSA and the Catholic Church and there may be some religious traditions or badge work done at meetings. However when my son was in scouts mostly he just built things with his dad at the meetings.  I'm Catholic but I have no idea what the beliefs of the other families were because it was never discussed.

I hope your son enjoys scouts.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2009