Do you ever think about all the money your saving by breastfeeding?

I do! How much is formula like $20 or $30 dollars right? And you have to buy it a every month? Im thankful my LO and I have stuck with the bf.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you're not really saving. you're just NOT spending.

Anonymous

• That's one of the MANY reasons I breastfed all 3 of our boys..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Hell yeah. Both of my daughters breastfed. But my son didnt, and it was WAY too expensive having to buy formula.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• nope, cuz i didnt i had to buy a 300 pump and bottles. and i have wic. so if i had fomula feed i would have spent no money cuz i would have gotten it from them
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• actually for those on WIC they have breast pumps for free and they also have the nicer ones to loan out for working moms.
    Anonymous

• I think about it and then realize I am not "saving" money. Lol! We don't have any money for formula and I don't know what we would do!! Probably not pay the electricity or something!! I would breastfeed simply for the reason of cost, although I did/do it for other reasons too.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Isn't it hilarious that FF'ers answer the question and say "No, YOU paid for it with your hard-earned tax dollars!"

Yes. I do think about it. And I very much appreciate it.
    Anonymous

• And, btw. It's 15-30 dollars depending and most people go through 8-15 cans of it a month.
    Anonymous

• If you spent 300 on a pump and weren't on WIC you would've saved a TON of money piwife. Just ONE MONTH of formula for many people costs 200-450 dollars and sometimes more. And if you HAD WIC they would've only paid for about 10 cans (that is right, right?).. If your baby ate 13 after a few months and ate even a relatively cheap formula that's 45 bucks a month. But if they had to have an expensive one it could be 90 or more. Over just 8 months (when baby is likely to eat that much or MORE) or so that's 360 - 700 bucks. So you still would've spent that money or a lot more and I'm curious though why they didn't offer you a rebate or a loaner pump? Often they have really good ones.. Medelas or Amedas.

And another thing. Why did you spend 300 on a pump? I bought an awesome Ameda for 150.
    Anonymous

• And now they only pay for 8 I think. So 5 cans x 15 dollars = 75 x 8 = 600 bucks.

That's a pretty penny for a "choice". Sad thing is some uneducated folks won't do that. They'll get the WIC and refuse to spend anymore money so they'll water down the formula or gorge their baby on unhealthy fattening solids at the behest of WIC. They could always go to a food pantry, or quit their job to get FS. Yay for choice!

So, darn right I "think" about it. I commiserate on it, too.
    Anonymous