How Can YOU Homeschool?!?!?!

I am a teacher and while I strongly support our public schools, I recognize we are in great need for educational reform. I hear from a lot of ladies around Cafemom who have decided to homeschool due to their feelings about public education, which is great. HOWEVER, I am appalled and embarrassed to see many of these homeschooling moms in CM blatantly misspelling common words, misusing punctuation, and constructing grammatical errors that make them appear horribly ignorant. I don't understand why so many people these days think that simply because they are the parent and have the right to decide, THEY need to be the teachers when they clearly aren't up to the job. It frustrates me because I have recently seen several HIGH school students who've enrolled into my classes from a bad homeschooling experience and they are WAY behind! Don't people realize that simply graduating from high school does NOT qualify you to be a teacher?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i know what you mean, but maybe not all do the teaching themselves. My brother and his wife homeschooled their 3 kids but they got an actual teacher to come to the house to do it. BTW, i send my kid to school, nothing against home school but i wanted her to socialize a bit because she's so shy and the public schools here are fantastic.
    Anonymous

• I have a Master's in Education and homeschooled my grandkids bc too many CERTIFIED TEACHERS in our county could not spell, do math correctly and were piss poor examples of humans screaming and verbally & emotionally abusing their students. So don't think for one minute that bc someone has a piece of paper saying they are qualified to teach makes a person a good teacher. Spelling? They can use spell check. Grammar? There is grammarcheck. Most homeschoolers use workbooks that have the answers (with answers spelled correctly) and even if they don't these moms have more to offer in one to one teaching than just spelling. These moms can learn with the kids how to spell. Don't discount the advantage of one to one interaction. Plus, many homeschooling families trade off subjects. One might be great in English while one great in math. Your criticism of ppl who care show us what you teach. I don't want that taught to my family

Answer by admckenzie at 1:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• clapping OP YOU ROCK! The parents I know that home school in my area amaze me, I see their kids out wandering the neighborhood all day long, I cant figure out when they are actually learning anything! There is no way I could home school, My kids all take advanced classes, if I were to try and home school I feel it would be a disservice to them.

I do have a question though, how do colleges view home schooled applicants? I mean seriously, what about all the thing colleges look for in a well rounded student, how do you achieve that by home schooling?

Anonymous

• Funny though. I see a lot of high school and college graduates on here who cannot spell to save their lives. So maybe public school is not the answer.

Anonymous

• I dont want to home school my son, but something with our educational system has got to change! Private school kids in my area are snotty and its super expensive...and public schools have become a hot mess. I am by no means qualified to teach my son, but i have to find something that works all the way around!!!

i know watching wife swap ive seen some DISGUSTING examples of "home schooling" theyve put their kids at such a disadvantage in life!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Well put admckenzie! In addition, what about those living in school systems that are on the "in crisis" list. Why should a parent send a child to a school where they are rubbing elbows with the bottom of the society barrel? Our neighborhood is past its prime to say the least! Our public schools are filled to overflowing with the unwashed ignorant masses. The people raising these children are to blame. Why would I want to expose my children to an environment where ignorance and immorality reign supreme? Private school is not always an option as these schools are costly. I would rather keep my children at home and know they are not only learning the 3 R's but are also learning the values I feel are important in a human being. The world is a scary place these days. Cafemom is a classic example of ignorance. There is vulgar language, admitted drug use, the list goes on. We are in private school, we are lucky!

salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• OP here -
    admckenzie, I never suggested ALL homeschooling parents were incompetent and I certainly never stated all public teachers should be teaching. If you re-read my comment, I actually premised my opinion by saying our schools DO need change and that I support parents who CAN homeschool. Too many of my experiences with homeschooling parents are those who cannot get their children to attend school, have been cited (sometimes numerous times) by the local truant officer, and decide to keep the law off their backs by signing little Billy up for homeschooling. Or charter school. Then they come around to the boards in CM and "brag" about how involved they are in " there chlderns edjamacashun" and what a great parent they are. Seriously, these are the messes that roll into my classrooms mid-year and I have to fix what the parents never even tried to do.
    Anonymous

• If you are going to homeschool, you NEED to be a student yourself. Learning should never end! Not everyone has good grammar, but as a homeschooling parent, you should recognize your weaknesses, seek to improve, and get help for teaching in those areas. I was homeschooled and attended a public school my last two years of high school. Because of my siblings and me, many of the teachers and the principals changed their view of homeschooling (this was 20 years ago when it was much rarer). In fact the principal sent parents to my mom when they would pull their kids out to homeschool. AND my mom only had a high school diploma (though attended college for a few years).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Well, you said it yourself ~ "... enrolled from a bad homeschooling experience..." There are going to be instances of "bad .......schooling experiences" no matter what educational route people take. The lack of individuality in some private schools will have a negative effect on some students. The bullying & cliques that are allowed in public school are going to have a negative effect on some students. The fact that track coaches are teaching calculus will have a negative effect on some students. The fact that some people with a teaching license only graduated because of spell check will have a negative effect on some students. The list goes on & on and, yes, some parental choices will have a negative effect on some homeschool students as well.

I have little more than a highschool education, & I homeschool my children. According to the law & my childrens' progress, I'm more than qualified to be their teacher.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I am a homeschooling mother and I am honestly appalled at some of the other homeschoolers I have met both in real life and online. I see people that cannot spell on a 3rd grade level asking about how they can get started homeschooling. I am unable to give these women advice because my personal feeling is that, since they cannot read and write at even a 3rd grade level they would be doing their children a terrible disservice. I cannot contribute to that.

I also know other homeschoolers that do a wonderful job. It is not for everyone. I would not recommend it or support just anyone. There is some skill involved. But it is a wonderful thing for the mother's that can do it well and the children that need a non-standard out of the box education.
    Anonymous