Due to medical reasons I already know that I have to get a c-section but i am deathly afraid of surgery. Any advice?

Princesmommy10

Asked by Princesmommy10 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'll be honest, c-sections suck. I've had 2 and have my 3rd scheduled in December. The surgery itself scares me to death even though I've been through it twice. It's just something you have to get through. Be sure you have someone super supportive that makes you feel comfortable in the O.R. with you. Focus on the joy of your new baby instead of the surgery itself and that's about all you can do.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I had to have one too. I worried and stressed over it for weeks. Best to talk to your OB and tell her your fears, so she's prepared. They will let someone go in with you after you have been prepped and that helps a lot. My husband didn't even focus on our son he just held my hand and kept talking to me. It's really not bad. I felt like to recovery time was actually shorter than when I had my first child naturally. Just try to relax, your doctor will take care of you and it will be ok.
    bee823

Answer by bee823 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• You can get better familiar with the whole process. You can speak with your doctor, join a support group, read books about it, take a class, have a doula to help.
    There are many things you can do, certainly. ;-)
    Let me know if you'd like more ideas. Let me know more about your concerns.
    Have you been working to avoid the cesarean, is it possible? Do you need help with this?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Learn as much as you can about it. I had an emergency c-section and it was awful....BECAUSE I didn't know anything about c-sections! Please, learn as much as you can. Like the PP said, take a class, join a support group, you can do it. You can choose if you want to be awake during it too, I believe. And remember, as long as your baby comes out healthy that's all that matters!
    Anonymous

• Just think that one way or another the baby is coming out and once you accept that fact it will be easier to digest the surgery. You will suffer, you will need to recuperate. All will be worth the second you see your child. The pain will seem unimportant when you hold your child in your arms. If you are stressed or nervous think about it like a necessary thing in order for your child to live so that by itself will give you the courage and strength you will need to endure whatever it is you must endure in order to give birth to your bundle of joy.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I was going to have my son natural when one day at our office visit my doctor rushed me into the alutrasound room and seen that my baby was butt first..lol I also had high blood pressure so she said i was having a c-section and it was going to be the next day.. i had no time to prepare.. but it went ok.. i just waited to hear the baby cry and that was all that mattered...
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 1:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I know some pregnant women have a no drugs policy, but I had an unplanned C and was having a panic attack. The anesthesiologist said he give me something for my nerves (probably demerol) and I was fine, I could talk to my DH and focus on my baby. Talk to your OB, I'm sure there are many safe anti-anxiety meds available.

Anonymous

• C-sections are one of the worse mothering things to go through. The c-section itself is not bad, I have 4 boys and my last had to be c-section due to being breech. I was scared to death. Once I got in there, I was fascinated by everything. The worse part was the recovery. If you have older children, plan on havin someone around to help take care of them. It took me at least 5 mins to get up from a chair and to get out of bed was a lot of pain and probably closer to 15 mins. You will not be moving fast at all for at least a month afterwards. Take it slow, enjoy your baby, and bite your tongue through the pain of moving when you have to get up from your seat. My suggestion get a recliner to sleep in and forget your bed for the first couple of weeks.
    hjmadison

Answer by hjmadison at 2:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I won't give total advice given I too had health issues that caused me to have c-sections, and I had problems with each c-section, however I will say I don't regret any of my children or the problems that I had trying to have them. You'll find your strength through your child and partner. Whatever you go through will be a fading memory after that baby comes into the world that is the great gift of becoming a mother. I will also say that I strongly suggest in giving your body time to heal afterwards. This is something I don't feel I did enough of and could have led to some of the problems I had; so if I had to pass on anything please let your body heal, you only get one body in life after all.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• The only thing about the c-section that I hated was when they numbed me and I coulnd't feel my legs, I was not prepared for that at all. I started panicing and felt like I couldn't breathe. I calmed down once my SO came in the room with me. My main advice is to learn as much as you can about it and prepare yourself for anything. I only had about 24 hours to prepare and was so exciterd for my baby to get here that I didn't care that I was having a c-section
    reava

Answer by reava at 2:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2009