I started potty training with my son when he turned 2 on Nov. 10th.....

He goes poop and pee in the potty now, and has no accidents throughout teh day, we no longer put him in a diaper on his nap because he stays dry, but we still do at night. He dosent go to the potty on his own, he will say when he has to go sometimes, but i take him in there once every hour or 2, so he will go because he jsut dosent get up to do it on his own. Would you say that this is successful? and at what point did you child actually get up and go to the potty himself when he had to go?

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 1:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, you should consider this successful. However, we had this "problem" for awhile. What worked for us was to walk her through the steps of initiating the potty-going. Here's what we did specifically. Two things. First, I watched for her signs (pee pee dance), and call attention to them: "You're holding yourself, I can tell you need to go potty. Let's go." Second, we stopped giving any little reward for successful pottying if we took her. She didn't need that anymore anyway. I explained to her, "if YOU say 'potty' and take US to the potty, you can have an M&M." When it had been awhile since she last peed, I really encouraged her... "don't you want to say 'potty,' take me to the potty, and go potty so you can have an m&m?" For about a day, she'd do it just for the m&m. But after that she did it when she needed to potty (and after that we'd rarely take her unless she said so -- except before we left the house, etc).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• You will likely have to prompt him to toilet for quite some time. I still have to tell my 6 yr old to go sometimes. She fools around until she's running and can barely hold it if I don't.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2009