Do you fix your child spelling?

My son had an assignment not too long ago and he had to write about himself, his hobbies, the ones he cared about.. etc. I help him out and made him sound out the words then write them, some of them he still misspelled so I had them fix it with my help. When I went to the school for parent/teacher conferences, all the kids had their assignment hanging up and sooo many of them wrote how the word sounded. I thought to myself "Oops, maybe I wasn't suppose to help him"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in

• I point out misspellings. Remind my children to sound out the word, help them recall a particular phonics or spelling rule, but I don't give them the correct spellings. I think it's wrong to not point out misspelled words; the child will have a hard time breaking the habit of spelling the word wrong.
    Anonymous

• i would have helped him fix it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I did not help my son under the conditions you described. My thinking was that the teacher had to see his work, to see how to help him progress. I did have to correct the TEACHER's spelling a few times in 2nd grade. She was trying to teach the kids wrongly spelled words and incorrect quotes and I ended up talking to the principal about her.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• child's?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• LOL... go figure I would mess up on my spelling. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Depends on the grade. I would not fix the spelling of a younger grade child but an older grade child I would have pointed out it was not quite right and had them look it up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• No, I do not fix his spelling. I do point out errors and it is up to him to find out the correct spelling. He will not learn how to find out things for himself if I do everything for him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Yes, I help them. How else will they learn? I find the misspelled words, and they fix them.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I sometimes point out spelling mistakes or other errors in their homework but mostly I just check to make sure they finished it. If it looks like they got every answer/half the words spelled wrong I make them do it over with help otherwise they go to school with what they have done and get marked accordingly. The teacher won't know what kind of help they need if all their homework is perfect.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2009