CAN YOU GET MARRIED IF YOU DONT BELIEVE IN GOD?

(~.~)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes
    Anonymous

• Of course you can.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Yes in a civil ceremony at acourthouse.  Marriage is a religious sacrament so you would not be in spiritual marriage but it would be a legal one.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Marriage is only religious if YOU are religious and make it so.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• people do it all the time. My husband married me even though he doesn't beleive in God. I beleive that God honors a marriage wheither or not you beleive in Him. But at the same time why believe in a sacred union between a man and a woman if you don't beleive in God. For Christainity its not just a promise between two people, but marriage involves 3 people, a man, a woman and God.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• "why believe in a sacred union between a man and a woman if you don't believe in God."

Because you don't have to believe in any God to have a 'scared' union. That's more morals that religion/God.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• "But at the same time why believe in a sacred union between a man and a woman if you don't beleive in God. "

For a lot of people marriage ISN'T sacred, it's a legal contract. And sadly that applies to many people who are married in churches and then screw around on their spouses.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Marriage has nothing to do with religion. Commitment, fidelity, trust, partnership, all those things are based on morals, not on whether or not you believe in God. Marriage is a legal contract, yes. That "sacred" bond is a completely separate thing. A person CHOOSES to be committed to somebody else, no piece of paper or ceremony is going to MAKE them do that if they don't want to.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• sure god gave us free will to do what we want.. do what makes you happy, god loves all humans even if they don't believe in him..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:46 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Of course you can! If you believe in God, you may see it as a union approved by God- if you don't, you may see it as a special union between you and your partner, or a certain level of commitment, or simply a legal contract. My dh is an atheist- he doesn't believe in God. I'm a pantheist, I don't believe in a personified God who commanded us to marry. Our marriage is just as legit as anyone else's- it is a deep commitment we made to one another and we take it very seriously. We've been married for almost twelve years now- during that time several of our friends who are believers have divorced. My commitment to my husband and his for me has nothing to do with whether we believe in God or how we conceptualize God. It has everything to do with the love and respect and responsibility we feel towards each other and the family we have made.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2009