6 months old breatsfeeding

i love nursing my baby but he is still waking up 2 or 3 times a night to eat how can i get him to sleep through the night he doesnt really take a bottle

mommyto2txboys

Asked by mommyto2txboys at 2:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you started solids?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I'm having the same problem and my son is 7months EBF.
    Anonymous

• You can't make a baby do something it's not ready to do.
    Anonymous

• You can't, I'm afraid. No matter how you feed him. He'll sleep longer when HE is ready to.

Think of it this way...the waking is your assurance that he's still breathing. They're designed to wake frequently.

And be aware.,...before bed solids often makes them wake MORE...sure happened that way here. Went from two or three wakeups a night to HOURLY.

My son slept longer when I stopped worrying about making him sleep longer and put him down when HE was sleepy.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• At 6mos I started introducing sweet potatos, avocados and Gerber whole grain oat meal. I would mix them all 50/50 with breast milk. I felt with my DD that at 6mos her appetite had increased and she needed more then breast milk to feel satisfied. Of course its fine to continue EBF, you just have to decide if your LO is getting enough sleep.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• 2-3 times a night is GOOD! :) Co-sleep, if you aren't already... it's a sanity saver! They tend to make up for missed feedings at night around this age because they're so busy and distracted during the day. It's a GOOD thing for your babe to wake up and eat at night, you can be sure they're getting plenty of milk.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• At 6 months, a baby that is waking up 2-3 times at night is waking out of habit, not need. Do you nurse him to sleep, or has he learned to get himself to sleep? At night have you tried different methods of getting him to sleep, rubbing his back (one of mine loved having his face rubbed!), turning on a classical CD, anything other than feeding? If you can get him used to not eating at night then he will start to sleep through.
    A lot of people on here will disagree with me, but all 4 of my kids slept through the night by 2 months (and by that I mean 8 plus hours, not 5) and still do.

Answer by missanc at 3:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I disagree with missanc. My son has slept through the night since he was 4 months old and he was EBF and he was also nursed to sleep and still is nursed to sleep. I think it was - he was READY to sleep through so he did. He rarely wakes up - usually he does when we were busy and he didn't eat as much. And if you didn't BF you don't necessarily know that, because sometimes BF babies will miss feedings they need during the day and end up needing to wake at night. If this baby was a year old I would say it was probably habit, but since baby is 6 months I disagree strongly.

If you want to start solids, do it during the day -- if you give him something at night his digestion might be upset or the caloric quality will be too low and he may not sleep as long as usual. Try nursing more often during the day. It might help.

I don't know what you really can do since - a rule with CIO is baby must be FED.
    Anonymous

• I hope EBF is exclusive, not extended, when a four month old is being discussed.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I hope EBF is exclusive, not extended, when a 6 month old is being discussed. Babies should be BF for at least the first year.

I believe they mean exclusively.
    Anonymous