need info on sweet potato recipes

I am not very practiced with sweet potatoes, and I am reluctant to add sugar to any s.p. recipe. I found one that looks like it might be good. The question is, will it be good just baked and w/o the sugar glaze? Here it is.

Lemon Glazed Sweet Potatoes:
* 2 cups fresh lemon juice
* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
* 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* Salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine juice, sugar and zest in a small non-reactive pan and reduce to 1/2 cup. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss sweet potatoes in oil and roast in a large ovenproof skillet. Roast until lightly golden brown and just cooked through. Remove the pan from the oven and place on a burner over medium heat. Add the glaze to the potatoes and toss to coat evenly. Saute potatoes until all are glazed.

callmeann

Asked by callmeann at 2:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Taste test, before you glaze all the potatos try 1 in the glaze with out sugar added and if you like glaze them but if you don't add some sugar. Usually a reciepe like this will need some sugar to make it taste right.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• If you don't like white sugar, try using raw brown sugar instead, or use Stevia. These will make it sweet, but won't hurt as badly...and Stevia won't hurt someone who is diabetic.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 3:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Do a test run...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I always just add a little at a time and taste as I go if I am unsure. You are right. Sweet potatoes are one of those things than can be easily overdone with sugar. There is a fine line in my book. I just add a pinch of salt, some butter, a spinkling of brown sugar and cinnamon to baked and mashed sweet potatoes. Sometimes I add a pecan praline topping and bake til heated through and crispy on top.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Good suggestions. Thanks everyone.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 8:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2009