How can a broken trust be fixed? How long does it take until a person can trust again? And is there a way the person who got hurt do anything to build the trust with the person who hurt them in the first place?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• if he's worth it ,it may take awile. You may be giving him oermission to cheat again if he can get away with it
    Anonymous

• It can be fixed by the person who broke it. They can show that they won't take advantage of that trust again, won't destroy it again. The way it can be done varies on exactly what it was that broke the trust (cheating, stealing, etc.), but I think for the most part, that one thing that applies generally across the board is that the person who broke the trust needs to be completely honest and forthcoming, willing to answer any and all questions and show the other person anything they ask to see in order to show that nothing is going on.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• For me it couldn't be fixed. Depending on what was done to break your trust, maybe it will work out for you. I think it will take a very long time, and you may never trust as fully as you once did. I think you can help by letting the person who hurt you know what it is you need to feel comfortable in the relationship again. I wish you the best.
    Anonymous

• It's really more of a choice than anything else. If you want to trust a person, you simply choose to trust him, whether or not he's broken your trust. You thought he was trustworthy before he disappointed you, so you can believe that he is truly sorry if he has admitted that he did wrong and is genuinely sorry that he did whatever it was that he did. If he has shown no remorse, then I think it would be very foolish to trust him again. Did he ask you to forgive him and promise to never do it again? Or did he make excuses for himself as to why he strayed? I don't think you can ever trust a person again who is not sorry for breaking the trust and who is not committed to not doing it again. Some people simply are not trustworthy, and we have to learn how to decide who is and who isn't.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I agree with tropicalmama. the way my husband has earned my trust back has been by being totally honest and open with me. that means everything- no white lies or anything. they need to be understanding also and willing to communicate. at first my husband couldn't understand why i was mad or didn't trust him still (about a month after the incident) the person needs to realize trust is a very hard thing to get back once it is broken.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 5:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2009