Can I have my son's speech evaluated without a recommendation from his dr.?

He is 19 months and barely talks. He has no words that he says on a regular basis. He has said dog, tree, car and a few others but he says them once and then never again except dog. He says mamamamamama but that is just recently. No dada. He justs grunts and gets mad if you don't understand. The dr wants to wait till he's 2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, just google early intervention in your area and call them. A mother's intuition is almost always more important than a dr's evaluation. If there is a delay, the earlier you can get started the better off you are!

Answer by missanc at 2:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• As the first poster said yes you can call you early childhood center and get an evaluation, If this isnt your first child dont be surprised if they tell you nothing is wrong. My second child did the same thing till he was 2 1/2 because his brother would talk for him, he had a vocabulary but he refused to use it. I still had him tested at age 2 becuase i was worried about it, it is far better to have your child tested and put your mind to rest then to worry over it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• call your local school district most schools have early intervention, we had to do that with our kids and right now we have my 2 yr in speech therapy which basically is weekly meetings and setting goals if it werent that fact she gets a guaranteed spot in pre school i wouldnt bother with it...we do sign language with my daughter and make her say what she wants, i was informed by the speech therapist that i gave into easy cause i knew what she wanted instead of making her ask or say . i also started a new thing with my daughter if she says a word more than 4 times on different occasions i write it on a marker board so when friends family and her therapist come over we show them the board of her new words and make a big deal about it. also games with letter sounds help..if ya have anymore questions or need some more ideas message me...
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/concepts.htm

all 3 of my kids had speech delays and we used signs for all of them and it works and they seem to pick up on signs b4 they use their words even my oldest is 7 and he stills uses sign language when he talks....just make sure you use them when you talk as to role model and play games with them...with our daughter we give her small portions at snack time so she has to sign/say more, drink,eat, please...and they are easy to learn i was a little overwhelmed at the thought when my oldest speech therapist wanted to do signs but i learned just as fast as he did
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• hi again lol i just remembered one more thing you could try...get some dr jean's cds they have lots of songs that work on letter sounds..i LOVE her stuff, sadly the songs are catchy and i end up singing them when the kids arent around..if you dont want to spend the money i know a site where you can get them free...our pre school uses her songs with their speech kids
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My doctor did the same thing then we were playing catchup with early learning services. Now they aren't sure if it actually would have been beneficial because he is developing at his own pace a year to a year and a half behind everyone else. Its kind of a crapshoot if its going to be useful or not. If you really feel things aren't progressing call early intervention in your area. They may not be covered by insurance if you don't have a referral by the doctor though.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2009