Copper IUD

Anyone have one? Pros Cons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Risks of using an intrauterine device (IUD) include:

Menstrual problems. About 12% of women have the copper IUD removed because of increased menstrual bleeding or cramping. 2 Women may also experience spotting between periods. But after about 3 months of increased bleeding or spotting, the LNg IUD reduces menstrual cramps and bleeding by an average of 90%.

Perforation. In 1 out of 1,000 women, the IUD will get stuck in or puncture (perforate) the uterus. 1 Although perforation is rare, it almost always occurs during insertion. The IUD should be removed if the uterus has been perforated.

Expulsion. About 2% to 10% of IUDs are pushed out (expelled) from the uterus into the vagina during the first year. This usually happens in the first few months of use. Expulsion is more likely when the IUD is inserted right after childbirth or in a woman who has not carried a pregnancy. 1 When an IUD has been expelled protection is lost.
    Anonymous

• I HAD THE FIRST OF THE COPPER IUDS', BACK IN 1980. I became very very sick, started missing my periods, losing weight, and eventually having it removed about 9 months later. Upon the removal, a lot of anti-biotics,it was determined I was pregnant. All else is irrelevent. This of course is now 29 yrs later, do not use any form of BC, without fully researching it.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I had one, loved it, but it came part way out. Had to have a ultrasound to make sure I wasnt pregnant, then a month later had a new one put in. It did make my cramps a bit worse but not unmanageable. Make sure they don't trim the wire too short so you can't feel it and watch it closely.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009