would you give your child(ren) to your inlaws or would you think it'd be better if a stranger raised your child(ren) if you passed on?

it would be sad if your inlaws were mean and couldnt get along together and gave you crap for years, but if the time ever came what would be a better decision for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• When our children were young enough to need guardians we had friends of ours that were to take care of them should we die. Both of our families were not what we wanted for our children but our life long friends are awesome.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:04 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My in-laws are almost 70, they don't have the energy or desire to raise preschool/kindergarten age kids. I would rather have some younger relatives raise them rather than strangers, if it could be helped.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My inlaws for sure!! Either set! Not my parents my dad smokes and i just could not do that to my kids. I am one of the lucky ones that have wonderful inlaws...both sets!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My parents would be the best choice. My IL's are a special kind of crazy. I don't trust them one bit.
    Anonymous

• My in-laws will NEVER get custody of my children, it is actually written in our will that they should never have custody of them, I have my sister listed and then I listed friends after her, I have other siblings but also have a son with autism so I had to choose the right people who can deal with it and who are willing.

My in-laws do not parent in a way i agree with only one of their 4 kids agrees with their parenting and he is just like them abusive and cruel. My DH has openly told them they will never get our children.
    Anonymous

• i'd prefer to have mine taken care by somebody my age or close. why not the child(ren) further family (aunts, uncles etc). if not known to you who would that be, then i'd say ... make a geneological tree and dig deep in your roots. the child(ren) would grow better just knowing he/she/them is/are within his/her/their family. if that's not to consider on account of time limits (consumption) or moneywise, i'd have to consider strangers. i'd look at age, educational level, also b/c ... any state or office supervision they'd always have.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My In-laws will never-ever-EVER have custody of my son or any future children. We had to get a restraining order against my FIL because he was threatening us. I would prefer if my sisters (either of them) had custody of my kids but after that I would probably go to friends. I would actually think my son would be better off with strangers than with my in laws,at least my FIL.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• If we both pass on, my husband's sister will become my daughter's guardian. I love my in-laws, though. I'm not close to my SIL but she has similar values as we do when it comes to parenting whereas my family doesn't as much. Not that my family is a bunch of jerks, but there are some things more important to us than to them. I think my SIL will keep my family connected with her, too, which is important.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• None of my in-laws or my sister or brother would get my 2 younger children & my parents are 69 & 70 & travel a lot, so we have willed the guardianship of our 3 & 4 yr old to our oldest daughter & her fiance', who will be getting married in a few months. Our 18 yr old son will also take part in raising them.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I'd never ask my in laws! They would not get custody of a snail, much less my kids. They are stupid, hateful, selfish and some of them are trashy. One family needs CPS called on them because of their nasty freaking house. Roaches, TONS of them, crawling on the kids while they bathe. Its disgusting. I would ask my sister to take care of my kids, or my cousin and her husband.
    Anonymous