Will pumpkin pie be ok without cloves?

DD and I are making her 1st pumpkin pie w/ coconut milk in place of the evaporated milk. The recipe only asks for 1/4 teaspoon of cloves and I don't have any. Is it an important ingredient or no biggy? Any substitutes I might have?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 3:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• the cloves add the flavor, just like the nutmeg and cinnamon, vanilla, everyone uses different things depending on what flavor you want. you can use pumpkin pie spice in place of the other spices. Not adding cloves will not ruin it but be sure you add other spices so it has some flavor.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:18 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I have never used cloves, so maybe I should try that. However, I love the pumpkin pie I have made for all these years without them.
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 3:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Use cinnamon or nutmeg, just add a little extra. The cloves are a seasoning, not a vital ingredient. I have a friend that uses only cinnamon because she hates nutmeg and cloves. So she just kind of tweaks the typical flavorings to her liking.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• lol, I almost posted the exact same question, I think you will be fine :)
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• i never use cloves in mine, I use 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp ginger.. and i like it just fine :)
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Cloves add the little black speckles you sometimes see in the pie as well as a little flavor. You dont HAVE to use it but I would taste it first and add some more cinnemon or maybe nutmeg to it.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• i alwys use cloves, i love the flavor of them, but im sure it wouldnt make a difference since there are other posters that have never used it
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 3:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Yes!

I hate cloves and pumpkin pie is great without it!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2009