For those that chose to space out vaccines....

WHen will you give the MMR and why do you feel more comfortable giving it at that age instead of earlier...thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I will not be giving the MMR. In most states after a child is 14 years old they are legally allowed some say in their medical decisions. IF at that point they choose to get the MMR and it does not effect my exemption then they can do whatever they want. If it would effect my exemption then they will have to wait until they are 18.

If I were to try to influence my child's choice about the MMR after such a time that they can make their own decision I would suggest that the boys do not receive the Rubella shot. Rubella (or German Measles) is of no danger to adults, but only to unborn children. I would suggest that a girl only receive the Rubella shot as an adult and only if she plans on having children. Measles and Mumps i would suggest only to adults as both of those have a higher chance of being fatal to adults vs. children.
    Anonymous

• Oh. and this is assuming that they don't catch the disease as children. If they catch one of the diseases then they would not need the vaccine for that disease.
    Anonymous

• you might try posting this question in one of the groups here on CM about vaccines. The two that i am in are Educate Before you Vaccinate and Choosing not to Vaccinate. ...good groups.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• we do the Alternative Schedule (as opposed to the Selective Schedule) in Dr Sears's Vaccine Book.
    We're going to get our pedi to order the M, M , and R separately. We don't do more than one live virus vaccine and more than one aluminum-containing shot at a time.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2009