Do your children see pediatricians or family practitioners?

My children have always seen a pediatrician since they were born. They are now 7, 10 and 13. The doctor they have been seeing for the past 7 years is leaving the practice because she is having a baby. She is going to work in the hospital at night and no longer see patients in the practice, nor any new practice. I have to find them new doctors. I live in a small town. There is one doctor office here where I go, but it is with a family practitioner. I like her alot, but am a little nervous having my children go see somebody who is not a pediatrician. Should I find them another pediatrician or will a family practitioner be good enough? Are there cases where a child needs a pediatrician?

My son has Autism for which he is being followed by a Dev. Beh. Pedi seperate from his Pedi...

jlemaycox

Asked by jlemaycox at 4:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• we see a family dr. and if need to get referred to a pediatrician.

a family dr would be fine.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• my daughters are 5 and 3 1/2. we dont see anyone because thereis no need to see one. My kids are fine and healthy. I can weigh them at home and measure them at home. we eat organic foods, take herbal supplements at home. So i dont have the need to waste there time or mine to see a doctor for no damn reasons and it doesnt look like you need one either! a family prac is not the same as a pedi. if you really one a doc use a pedi
    Anonymous

• Pediatrics is a specialty. If you have children, you should probably see a Pediatrician. They are going to be more up to date on children's health issues whereas a Family Practitioner needs to know a lot of things: pediatrics, geriatrics, ob, etc.....and may not be able to stay up to date on all issues, medical findings and treatment.

I vote for the Pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• We use a family practitioner that actually delivered all my children. This doctor has changed practices and we followed her lol. She's that great. She remembers us, takes interest in our family and is just an all around awesome fit for our family.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 4:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My spouse, daughter and I; my sister and her family; and several friends all see the same family practitioner.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• A family doctor is just fine, all your kids are older and a family doctor knows just as much as a pediatrician.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My son is seen by a pediatrician. There are not many dr's around my home that we like or fully understand my son's autism. She does, and she actually listens to us and to our son when we have a concern or question. She genuinely cares about her patients and I only wish I could find a regular doctor for myself like her!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• we see a family doctor.. they have to keep up on all the training and current reccomendations just as a pediatrician..
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 12:49 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• We use a family doctor, he has known my kids their whole lives, he was there for their births and i stayed my whole pregnancy with him for prenatal care. I love having one doctor that knows our whole family and family history, in my opinion that is the best way to go.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:44 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I'd never take the kids to a family practice. Those doctors are NOT as specialized with children as way too many people think they are. (we have a family practitioner in the family....he's the one who told us)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Nov. 26, 2009