Do you think women who FF are bad moms?

I'd like to know, because though I've only seen it said a few times on this site, I've seen it implied many, many times. We all know breast milk is best, so no need to explain that. I just want to know, from all of you...do you personally think a mom who feeds her baby formula, no matter the reason, is a bad or lesser mother that those who strictly breast feed?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Line up a classroom full of children and I can assure you nobody is going to be able to pick out who in that class was breastfed and who wasn't.

I don't care how a person was fed the first year of their life, feeding and caring for a child during that time is to me important and if a parent is doing just that then I consider them a decent person. I don't think there is a 'best mom' nor do I think there is a system that works great and best for all. I'm sure there are many that think otherwise, these people are not my concern. I live with the reality that we all grow and develop at our own pace and that nobody is a clone of their neighbor, but we are all people to be respected, especially if we’re watching out for the growth and maturity of young no matter what process we take to do so.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 6:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• oh the worst. how dare a mom feed her baby *gasp* FORMULA!! dun dun dunnnn
    Anonymous

• No. I thought my sil was a very selfish woman but it had nothing to do with the formula it was her reasoning.... bf would inconvience her and not allow the nannies (yes that is plural... because you can not work someone 24 hours so she had a daytime nanny and a night time nanny) to feed the baby. (btw... she is a sahm )

If you dont want to bf then dont. But if you look at having a baby as an inconvience and bf only adding to that inconvience -THAT I have a problem with.
    Anonymous

• i think anyone who thinks that is an idiot. sure breast is best but whether you choose to feed your baby from the breast or bottle does not determine what kind of a mother you are.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Nope.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Nope. I think every mom has to make that choice for herself. I breastfed my four babies, but that was my choice.
    Anonymous

• there are a ton of women on this site that will immediatly call you a bad mom and an idiot if they find out you arent breast feeding. It is humorous. But the normal human beings on this site realize that your circumstances are yours alone as are your decisions for your baby and let it be. But tell me you are bottle feeding your 3 month old coke.. and im gonna call you a bad mom hahahaha!
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 4:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• No. Not at all. I get so frustrated with the ff and bf "battle." I think it makes it harder to encourage someone or help someone struggling with breastfeeding. I had a friend quit nursing because "she couldn't produce enough milk." But she followed exactly what she was told by a doctor and didn't want advice from me. She would only feed her child every 3 hours and only for so many minutes on each side. If the baby was fussy, it wasn't from hunger because it wasn't the right time or she fed the baby as long as she was supposed to! So much poor info is out their from doctors and then because of the fighting among moms, why listen to each other??!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• NO. i would love to be able to BF but im not able to due to medical reasons. sometimes it just dont work out , would they rather us FF or starve our kids trying to do something we arent going to be able to do? in my opinion its just as good if your not able to BF.
    Anonymous

• I hate this war between BF and FF. I had the oncall peditrician ask me in a very haughty tone if I had not even considered BF my daughter. Like it was her business. She was such a great doctor she somehow couldn't diagnose my daughter's allergy to the protein in the milk based formula. I switched to a specialist who diagnosed her within five minutes of examining her. I think however a mother chooses to feed her baby is her business. Regardless of being a SAHM, WOHM, having childcare or not.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2009